cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I restore files that were deleted when deleting the Dropbox folder on my computer?

Highlighted

How can I restore files that were deleted when deleting the Dropbox folder on my computer?

Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

I created a Dropbox account 2 days ago to have acces to a shared file at work. After creating the account I saw that dropbox made a copy of all the files on my computer without asking it in a folder named "Desktop". I deleted that folder from the dropbox account, then deleted the app from my computer because I didn't liked how it worked and decided I'm only going to use it at work, not on my personal computer. Today I found on my computer a folder named "Dropbox" which contained the folder named "Desktop". I knew I deleted the app and I didn't wanted any files from the app anymore so I deleted the folder, thinking it contained only copies of my files.  I was asked if I want to delete all the files permanently and I say yes because I wasn't thinking that all the original files were in the Dropbox folder. It deleted all the original files I had on my computer, all the projects I was working on. What can I do about that? I really need to recover some of those. For some I have copies, but for some I don't and I lost important work.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Deleted files

Dropboxer

Hello @thgg, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

From what you mentioned, it sounds like the computer backup feature was enabled during the set up of the desktop app which synced the Desktop folder to Dropbox.

When you uninstall the desktop app on your computer, it will disconnect the syncing with the Dropbox folder, but the folder itself won't be deleted on your computer in case you want to keep a local copy of the files.

Could you please double check in your computer's trash/recycling bin to see if the deleted Dropbox folder can be restored from there?

If not, please check out these steps to see if the files can be restored through Dropbox. 

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi! I uninstalled the app, and when I found the folder "Dropbox" I tought those are copies, as you said. But somehow they were actually the original files and now they are gone forever. Of course the first place I look was the recycled bin, but in the trash of the computer I didn't found anything and I was able to recover some of the files from the Dropbox "Deleted files", but not all of them. I am wondering why the original files were in the dropbox folder?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @thgg.

So that the files can sync with your Dropbox account, they're moved into the Dropbox folder.

For the files that you weren't able to recover from Dropbox, it's most likely due to the files not being uploaded before they were deleted. I can suggest looking into third party apps that can assist with recovering the files that you still need to recover.

I hope this info helps somewhat, please do let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?