cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I restore my files?

How can I restore my files?

Ugi02
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have a problem. I deleted my Dropbox account today because I hardly used it over the years. I deleted my account regularly on the Dropbox page. In Windows I also deleted the Dropbox folder. After restarting my computer, suddenly many files that were on my desktop were gone. Of course, I had previously looked in Dropbox to see what folders were in the Dropbox .

My question now is: how do I get back my folders/files that were on the desktop? There are only 2 icons left on the desktop.

In order to describe this problem, I had to log in to Dropbox again extra.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Re: How can I restore my files?

Rich
Super User II

@Ugi02 wrote:

I deleted my Dropbox account today because I hardly used it over the years. ... In Windows I also deleted the Dropbox folder. After restarting my computer, suddenly many files that were on my desktop were gone.

It sounds like you had the computer backup feature enabled and didn't disable it before remove Dropbox from your computer.

The backup feature moves your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders into the Dropbox folder so they can be synced by Dropbox. If you remove Dropbox without disabling the feature (moving the files back to their original location) and then delete the Dropbox folder, you're deleting those main folders as well.

Normally you would just be able to reinstall Dropbox and allow all your files, which would have been synced to your account, to just download back to your computer, but because you deleted your account, you also deleted the files from the Dropbox servers. Unfortunately, once an account is deleted, neither the account nor the files it contained can be restored.

When you deleted the local Dropbox folder from your hard drive, did you permanently delete it, or just send it to the Recycle Bin? If you didn't permanently delete it, you might find your files in the Recycle Bin.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?