cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I restore my missing files after uninstalling the desktop app?

How can I restore my missing files after uninstalling the desktop app?

Explorer | Level 4

With the greatest respect, do you really want to hear from me? I have been trying for three weeks to get hundreds of files back which were lost when I installed Dropbox on my PC. Even if I were to upgrade (as I keep being asked to do) how will I get all my files back onto my PC. ( I uninstalled Dropbox as a safety precaution)

Next follows the paper trail. LOL   Pete

Nov 3, 2020 ------ Lost Data with Dropbox

Hi Gals/Guys!

I use Dropbox set up by a volunteer group to to assist in local community volunteer activity. Please help!

I’m pushing 80 and have had a stroke. I still have a measure of tech savvy but will need detailed but simple explanation of what to do.

A few days ago I installed Dropbox on my PC. I already had it on my phone and tablet for years but wanted a bigger screen.

I suspect the Dropbox "Back up" feature uploaded hundreds of folders and files to Dropbox. Dropbox was filled and wanted me to upgrade.

I deleted piles of stuff I don’t need on Dropbox but it also deleted it on my computer. So I deleted some Folders on Dropbox which had appeared.

Still 'Full" so I uninstalled Dropbox from my PC. (still have it on my phone and tablet).

Comments from 'Community' didn't work for me.. Previous Windows had a ‘restore point’, but I can’t get it to work in Win 10. nor does "Dropbox restore."

As mentioned. I still have a measure of tech savvy but will need detailed but simple explanation of what to do. I use Dropbox for my volunteer community work. Please help!

Pete Roney

[removed per the Community's Guidelines]

(PS I’m definitely not a robot...sometimes I wish I were! LOL)

Hi Pete,

Your Dropbox is full and is no longer syncing files. New files added to your Dropbox folder won't be accessible on your other devices and won't be backed up online.

Upgrade your Dropbox today and get up to 3 TB (3,000 GB) of space and powerful sharing features.

Upgrade your Dropbox

Thank you for your message to SSA Proactive Sales Chat.

Inbox

no-reply@snapengage.com

Tue, Nov 3, 1:41 PM

to me

Thank you for submitting a message to SSA Proactive Sales Chat.

Hi Pete, your Dropbox is full but we can help

Inbox

Dropbox <no-reply@dropbox.com> Unsubscribe

Tue, Nov 10, 7:04 AM

to me

Hi Pete,

Your Dropbox is no longer syncing because it's full. That means we can't back up new files you add to your Dropbox or sync to your other devices.

To get your Dropbox back to shape, upgrade your Dropbox today and get up to 3 TB (3,000 GB) of space and powerful sharing features.

Upgrade your Dropbox

our Dropbox has stopped syncing

Inbox

Tue, Nov 24, 7:05 AM (6 days ago)

to me

Hi Pete,

Your Dropbox is full and is no longer syncing files. New files added to your Dropbox folder won't be accessible on your other devices and won't be backed up online.

Upgrade your Dropbox

Make room for all your files

Inbox

Thu, Nov 26, 5:31 PM (4 days ago)

to me

Thinking about an upgrade?

Don’t stress over storage. Dropbox Plus has space to spare—and so much more.

Try Dropbox Plus

1 Reply 1

Re: How can I restore my missing files after uninstalling the desktop app?

Dropboxer

Hi @ParisPete ; thanks for posting on our Community and sorry to hear about your missing files.

Regarding the interaction you included, it seems to be an interaction with the Sales team and not the Support team.

That said, can you please clarify if you can see any of those files in your deleted files page or any sign of them in your events page? If so, have you tried restoring them from there?

In addition, can you confirm that you somehow enabled the computer backup feature upon installing the desktop app on your computer? 

If you didn't disable the feature before uninstalling the app from your machine, have you tried looking for your files in their original locations or even your computer's recycle bin/trash can? 

I hope my pointers here can help, but I'll be one post away if you have any more questions, Pete. 

I'm wishing you the quickest of recoveries! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?