cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I select multiple files to delete at once?

How can I select multiple files to delete at once?

minerolywa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I upgraded my dropbox recently to 1 TB of cloud memory because I have a security camera that records and uploads.  We have the camera inside the house and it records anytime there is movement.  I don't need to keep or access the video files unless something bad happens, so I've been deleting them.  I came to find out they go to the 'Deleted file' folder and I'd like to delete them permanently on a regular basis, rather than have them use up cloud storage.

I've not found a way to select all the files at once to do this efficiently.  Is there a way, and if not, when will this be added?  It's ridiculous to have to select files one by one without having an option to select all.  Please let me know when you plan on adding this, as if you don't have a difinitive answer (date) then I will need to look to another option for cloud storage.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @minerolywa  - welcome to our forums and happy Monday!

There should be a box to tick at the left side of the deleted files in question through which you'd be able to mark more than one files to permanently delete (if needed that is). 

I was able to select them by hitting Ctrl + A on my deleted files page - have you tried this by any chance yet? (if you're on a Mac device it would be Command + A) 

Just note that deleted and permanently deleted files don't count against your storage quota. Permanently deleting files after they have already been deleted doesn't free any more space in your Dropbox.

For Dropbox Basic (free) and Plus users, deleted files are permanently deleted after 30 days. If you have a Dropbox Professional or Business account, files are permanently deleted after 120 days.

If you move a file, then permanently delete it, the version of that file from its previous location will appear in the deleted files page. You can then permanently delete this version.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @minerolywa  - welcome to our forums and happy Monday!

There should be a box to tick at the left side of the deleted files in question through which you'd be able to mark more than one files to permanently delete (if needed that is). 

I was able to select them by hitting Ctrl + A on my deleted files page - have you tried this by any chance yet? (if you're on a Mac device it would be Command + A) 

Just note that deleted and permanently deleted files don't count against your storage quota. Permanently deleting files after they have already been deleted doesn't free any more space in your Dropbox.

For Dropbox Basic (free) and Plus users, deleted files are permanently deleted after 30 days. If you have a Dropbox Professional or Business account, files are permanently deleted after 120 days.

If you move a file, then permanently delete it, the version of that file from its previous location will appear in the deleted files page. You can then permanently delete this version.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

PJChatman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

[I was able to select them by hitting Ctrl + A on my deleted files page - have you tried this by any chance yet? (if you're on a Mac device it would be Command + A) 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox]

This solution was posted by Walter. However, Walter was likely using the Dropbox Desktop program. It does not appear Walter was using the app or uaing the browser; since the app (Andriod app version 164.2.2 <Thank you, however,  - please don't suggest updating unless you KNOW for certain the latest update allows access to the Deleted Files page from WITHIN the Android app>) does not allow access to deleted files, and the browser does not allow Ctrl-A to select all the files, just all the text on the page. 

So how does one select mutiple files from deleted files page? I can do from any other page, but NOT the Deeleted Files page.

Why is there no Delete All box on the Deeleted File Page?

What was the reason for this? I have moved my mouse over every area to locate the ALL box, but to no avail.

Why is there "Delete All" button for this folder?

If any one know, please tell me. As it stands, now, Iam stuck selecting one file box, then scrolling, and scrolling until I get all my files, and using SHIFT-CLICK to collectivly select them all. But I have over 3000 files in this folder, and this takes awhile.

Thank you for reading and paying attention to detail when your reply. Peace.

PaulJC

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @PJChatman, thanks for reaching out and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. 

I just also wanted to mention that you can have a look at this thread, where other users also proposed the idea of a "select all" button for the deleted files page. 

Have a look and feel free to comment and upvote the idea. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to get back to us. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PJChatman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

If you actually READ my question you would have LEARNED that the solution provided by Walter DOES NOT WORK.

[the browser does not allow Ctrl-A to select all the files (from the list), just all the text on the (web) page]

You CANNOT USE CTRL-A from a browser, and there is no option to do so in the Android app.

So, thank you, but you have not answered the question.

The answer is: there is no way to select all of the deleted files from Deleted Files page from either the browser or Andriod app.

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

PJC

Eriknorway01
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If you select top file in deleted folder, scroll down and press Shift and select, at least 21 files are selected, one full page. At least a little bit better then selecting file by file. Too bad there is not built in a select all option. But google disc and google photo is worse, anyway... best of luck... Erik

PJChatman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Eriknorway01 

Thanks, and this is what I've come to learn.

Sigh.

I mean, Yahoo! Mail (back in 1996!!!)  and Hotmail (before MS bought it) figured it out. I don't understand why Dropbox and Google (with GMail)  just don't get onboard with the "Select All" way of doing things. UGG!

Paul

Eriknorway01
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Spot on, totally agree. On google disc it is possible to shift-click at the bottom of the listing to select all, unfortunately, with all the files I have backed up, the system cannot handle if you scroll too far. Syncing is not straight forward either.... I use iDrive, Box, OneDrive privat and business. Have a look at www.sync.com, not too bad. I also have three accounts on www.degoo.com - 100 Gbyte free per user, max 500 files upload and you need to login once a month to keep accounts active. I also have iCloud and Norwegian unlimited cloud storage called Min Sky... not any good but have uploaded almost 10 thousand pictures.... I have managed to crisscross syncing across all platforms... nightmare. 

Used google archive request function to get zip files of google disc and photos, obviously could only choose one format, for example word or pdf, jpg or png etc. Furthermore, after going through a long questionnaire google informs the user it will take hours or even days before you will receive the links to download what you tagged... obviously that never happens... just had to get my frustration out :)))) Have a great weekend.... fighting cloud storage....he he

JamoSmoove
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The "solution" provided does not solve the problem, unfortunately.

Stewart_Bowman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I hope I'm not reading in this thread that the only ways photos can be deleted from an album at Dropbox is one by one or every photo in the album.   Please tell me I've interpreted this incorrectly.
Surely removing multiple photos when editing out dupes and other unwanted photos can be done by selecting  those and clicking something like "delete all selected images" ?

Deleting them one at a time would be torture.  If there really is no way to easily delete multiple photos from Dropbox albums I'llc ask why not?   I don't know the first thing about writing code but adding the ability to select multiple photos for deletion is such a simple task at every cloud storage app I've used, well, it just makes no sense for a company as established as Dropbox is to not have such an important and simple tool available.
If not, I may be at the wrong app because I sure don't have the time or patience to sit for hours just deleting images one at a time.
Thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

vgarza1424 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Stewart_Bowman Helpful | Level 6
    JamoSmoove New member | Level 2
    Eriknorway01 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?