Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I share my pictures without them adding, deleting, editing and copying the files?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I would like to share our pictures with a family member but I only want them to be able to look. Not add, delete, edit, copy.....anything other than look. Is that possible?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Sharing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @mdpriss, welcome to our community! 

I’d like to add that Dropbox Professional and Business customers can disable downloads for a shared link. 

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Hover over the file or folder and click Share.
  3. Click Link settings.
  4. Click Yes next to Disable downloads for this link.
  5. Click Save.
This works with single files and folders too! You can share this link through Dropbox or by pasting the link into an email or chat. 

Recipients can preview the file on dropbox.com, but the Download button will be grayed out and won’t be clickable. If a recipient hovers over Download button, they’ll see “Downloads disabled.”

Important note: Disabling downloads for a shared link prevents people from downloading the contents of a link through Dropbox. This doesn’t prevent people from saving the content using other methods.

Here’s our page that mentions the above, including additional info you may find useful

Cheers!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

@mdpriss wrote:
I would like to share our pictures with a family member but I only want them to be able to look. Not add, delete, edit, copy.....anything other than look. Is that possible?

Hello, @mdpriss...

I recommend that you read this Help Center article regarding shared links (then choose which way you're accessing Dropbox for instructions).  Using that method prevents your recipients from editing or accidentally deleting your files.  In addition, your recipients don't need to have a Dropbox account with ample storage space within it.  Be aware that it would be a requirement if you chose to share a collaborative folder vs a shared link.

I realize that it's hard to know for sure how sharing a link to folders/files will appear to your participants (especially when testing folders/files in your account vs another person's).

For that reason, I make it possible for you to test-drive how sharing a link is viewed by YOUR recipients... please feel free to explore my example folder below.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you want to have the same experience as a non-Dropbox user then you should sign out of your Dropbox account or use a different browser.

> SHARING A DROPBOX SUB FOLDER LINK EXAMPLE:

The image below shows you the hierarchy of my example for sharing a LINK to a sub folder that only allows the recipient to view the ExampleSubFolder's contents.

Sharing a LINK to a Folder/File in my sub folder example does not give you access to the parent folder (zz.Example2) or its other sub folder (ExampleSubFolder2).

Depending upon how your folders/files are arranged within your Dropbox account:

1. You may have to create a new parent or sub folder.
  2. Then copy/move your files to that folder in order to control what your recipients can view or download.

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User
Super User

Some of the things are possible (view, no edit, no add), but you can't prevent copying. If you are sharing a folder, in the dialogue (via web or desktop) once you enter the email address in the "To" field, on the right of it there is a dropdown to select either "Can Edit" or "Can View". You have to choose "Can View". You can change it later form the sharing settings as well.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @mdpriss, welcome to our community! 

I’d like to add that Dropbox Professional and Business customers can disable downloads for a shared link. 

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Hover over the file or folder and click Share.
  3. Click Link settings.
  4. Click Yes next to Disable downloads for this link.
  5. Click Save.
This works with single files and folders too! You can share this link through Dropbox or by pasting the link into an email or chat. 

Recipients can preview the file on dropbox.com, but the Download button will be grayed out and won’t be clickable. If a recipient hovers over Download button, they’ll see “Downloads disabled.”

Important note: Disabling downloads for a shared link prevents people from downloading the contents of a link through Dropbox. This doesn’t prevent people from saving the content using other methods.

Here’s our page that mentions the above, including additional info you may find useful

Cheers!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Super User
Super User

@mdpriss wrote:

Hello, @mdpriss...

I recommend that you read this Help Center article regarding shared links (then choose which way you're accessing Dropbox for instructions).  Using that method prevents your recipients from editing or accidentally deleting your files.  In addition, your recipients don't need to have a Dropbox account with ample storage space within it.  Be aware that it would be a requirement if you chose to share a collaborative folder vs a shared link.

I realize that it's hard to know for sure how sharing a link to folders/files will appear to your participants (especially when testing folders/files in your account vs another person's).

For that reason, I make it possible for you to test-drive how sharing a link is viewed by YOUR recipients... please feel free to explore my example folder below.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you want to have the same experience as a non-Dropbox user then you should sign out of your Dropbox account or use a different browser.

> SHARING A DROPBOX SUB FOLDER LINK EXAMPLE:

The image below shows you the hierarchy of my example for sharing a LINK to a sub folder that only allows the recipient to view the ExampleSubFolder's contents.

Sharing a LINK to a Folder/File in my sub folder example does not give you access to the parent folder (zz.Example2) or its other sub folder (ExampleSubFolder2).

Depending upon how your folders/files are arranged within your Dropbox account:

1. You may have to create a new parent or sub folder.
  2. Then copy/move your files to that folder in order to control what your recipients can view or download.

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?