cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I stop a shared folder from taking up space on my account?

Highlighted

How can I stop a shared folder from taking up space on my account?

Explorer | Level 3

I have a personal dropbox account, I have no need for a business account as I don't back things up.  I have someone sharing a folder with me, which is all good and well, EXCEPT their folder is taking up space in MY dropbox, which quite frankly I think is a bit rude, as it is taking up "space" in their folder and obviously the 5 other users, when it is actually a shared folder, so can only assume it is really only taking space in one location in the cloud.

Having said that, I don't have space in my personal folder to store all theirs, nor do I want to.  I don't have the need to edit, modify, change, move or anything.  I read that if a link was shared, THEN this would be removed from my folder....well, that has not happened and I have still got this stupid folder using up all my space.

How can I remove these files, and still have access to them from the cloud without using all my personal space?  AND NO....I do NOT need to buy new space, I do NOT want to use dropbox for storage.....

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox link

Dropboxer

Hi @babyblues, thanks for messaging today!

As you've discovered, your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders.

As every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking accounts and shared folders.

You can remove the shared folder from your account and then ask the owner of the folder to create a shared link to the folder, so that you can access it from the site without needing a Dropbox account.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?