Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I sync only one file?

Explorer | Level 3

How do I sync one individual file only, and nothing else?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Sync

Super User II
Super User II

@Elixir wrote:

I am afraid, there is no way to choose one file over others for priority syncing.

Actually, there is, if you have a Plus, Professional or Business account.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Super User
Super User

@Matt215 If you are on a computer, install Dropbox. It will create a Dropbox folder in your local disc. Copy the file inside the Dropbox folder, anything inside this folder will automatically sync with Dropbox server/web and other connected devices. Work on the file like any other file in your computer, and you can access the new version from web or other devices once the sync is complete. 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Elixir

Thanks, but the problem is, there''s over 300,000 files trying to sync, it's taken over 8 hours so far and still a long way to go.

I just want to update and work on one file urgently, is there a way to do that?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@Matt215 wrote:

I just want to update and work on one file urgently, is there a way to do that?

If this file is in your Dropbox account, use the Dropbox website to download the file to your computer. If you make any changes, be sure to save them and then upload the saved file back to your account through the website.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

My files haven't synced for 20 days, so there's 300,000 files trying to update.

I just want to update one file only so I can get on with it.

The version on Dropbox is not up to date, is there a way I can update/sync a selected file only and ignore all of the others that are trying to update?

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

I am afraid, there is no way to choose one file over others for priority syncing. Since you have a large number of files, the performance of the desktop app could be poor - https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/space-storage/file-storage-limit Probably, you should just leave the computer for sometime to sort on its own. In case you are trying to access a single file from other devices, you may make a copy of that file outside dropbox folder (just for backup), and upload that file to the Dropbox web via browser. 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@Elixir wrote:

I am afraid, there is no way to choose one file over others for priority syncing.

Actually, there is, if you have a Plus, Professional or Business account.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your help

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?