cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tagging of photos

How can I tag photos or share photos with multiple users easily?

hogfish823
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is absolutely crazy that a company the size of DropBox can't figure out how to tag documents.    It would SAVE them a crap load of space becuase right now you have to save the same photo to multiple folders which is so cumbersum.    

If I have 6 people in a photo it would be so much easier to just tag it with the 6 names rather than copy the same photo in to 6 different locations.   It would also make finding people so much easier within the thousands of photos taken.  Just type the make and search or just click on one of the tags you already set up and all the photos they are in will appear. 

If DropBox can figure this out then I have to move to another system.

Does anyone know of a different cloud storage solution that allows tagging?  Does Google Drive allow it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reut V
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi everyone! Reut here from the Dropbox product team. It’s my pleasure to announce that tags are now available to all Dropbox users! To get started, on dropbox.com, just select one or more files and type a tag name in the righthand panel.

As we continue working on tags, the product team and I would love to hear your feedback. Think tags are amazing, and just what you need? Feel that something’s still missing? Let us know here.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @hogfish823, I just wanted to mention that if you’re sharing the same photos with six different users, you can share them all from one folder and include all six members to access that shared folder. 

In any case, I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along for future consideration. If you have any other questions or thoughts you’d like me to forward don’t hesitate to get back to me. Cheers! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

hogfish823
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you, and yes I am aware of how to share to multiple people.   The MAJOR dislike abouit Dropbox is the tagging / indexing feature or the lack thereof.     

If you take one photo of five people (John, Mike, Sam, Alex and Jeff) then another photo of two people (John and Mike) then a third photo of just Alex the only way to find ALL photos that each person is in is to set up FIVE seperate folders and copy the SAME photo into each of the FIVE folders.

The right way to organize is to put every single photo ever taken into ONE folder and then "TAG" or "INDEX" each photo with the Identifier of the person in it or the description of the photo so that I can go to the search feature and type in JOHN and all the photos that JOHN is TAGGED in will appear.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox has been moving away from photo management over the last several years. Every good feature they've ever had that made managing and sharing photos easy and sensible has been removed. They even shut down their companion app, Carousel, which was meant specifically for photo management.

Dropbox is no longer the best choice for managing and sharing photos.

hogfish823
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

OK - Well, any suggestions on who to use?   I use it for photos but I also use it for pretty much everything, not just pictures and videos.  

Scott N.15
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

The conversations about the ability to tag has been going on for years. Do a search for 'photo tags' and see what I mean. I have been requesting this feature for years. It gets "submitted to the design team" and then is forgotten.

Flickr does recognize photo tags and their search function works flawlessly. However, Flickr is only for photos. You will need to find somewhere else for your other files.

If you wish to stay with Dropbox, there is somewhat of a workaround. If you download and use the Dropbox Desktop Application, it will recognize tags. I am a Windows user and the Dropbox folder just shows up along with all my others. I simply go into File Explorer and search tags there. I can find photos in seconds. The Dropbox Desktop Application is available for both PC and Mac. Sadly, though, you still cannot search tags using the website or mobile app. Why this isn't a feature is beyond me. I have thousands of photos and finding a specific one is a chore unless I am using the Dropbox Desktop app on my computer. On my iPhone I find myself using Google Photos and their photo recognition feature. It's not nearly as precise and fast as searching tags but I can usually find a photo after doing some digging.

Dominique P.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

bonjour

je trouve aussi anormal que la fonction "tag" ou "étiquettes" en France ne soit pas installée. Pas uniquement pour les photos. J'ai des dossiers qui ont besoin d'être taggés pour être retrouvés facilement car les fichiers ont des utilisations multiples (pas seulement les auteurs ou utilisateurs)  ; nous n'avons toujours pas de réponse à cette demande qui est pourtant cruciale.

scollins1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanbsk for this info - how to you add a tag to a file in the first place?  To make it searchabel by that tag)

sinksoccer08
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@hogfish823 @Rich @Scott N.15 @Dominique P.1 @scollins1 

Agree with all of the above. You guys should try Air.inc ! I've been loving this tool recently– It's made specifically for managing your photos and videos and includes tagging, image/object recognition for advanced searches and Boards instead of folders (assets can live on multiple boards across your workspace...saves you space not having to duplicate assets to add to multiple folders). Super fast too! plays my 4k vids in under a second

Definitely worth a spin, especially considering the free option offers the full scope of functionality. 

Reut V
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi everyone! Reut here from the Dropbox product team. It’s my pleasure to announce that tags are now available to all Dropbox users! To get started, on dropbox.com, just select one or more files and type a tag name in the righthand panel.

As we continue working on tags, the product team and I would love to hear your feedback. Think tags are amazing, and just what you need? Feel that something’s still missing? Let us know here.

Need more support?