cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New DB install trying to back up hard drive

Re: MacOS Backup Feature (for Desktop, Documents, and Downloads) - How to undo?

ducttape
Explorer | Level 4

POTENTIAL work around?

I want to share how I seemed to fix this issue

Setup: New Lenovo Yoga on Windows 10. DB shared between 3 devices. This is 4th, so will need to unlink one. Tried past suggestions above, so already have a synced folder in DB

This may have potentially useless steps, but I had a guess and check mentality:
1) Pause Sync

2) Turn off wifi or internet connection

3) For Desktop, Documents, and Downloads, reroute back to it's original path. Open File Explorer, right click "Desktop" -> Properties -> Location -> Restore Default. I have C:\Users\*my username*\Desktop. Do same for Documents and Download as well

4) Uninstall DB

5) Restart computer

6) Turn on Wifi or internet connection

7) Go to dropbox.com, delete any past "Computer Backups" folders

8 ) Install beta version (Beta Build 98.3.151)

9) Sign in with ANOTHER account (not the one you want to use) during installation. I used an account I didn't use anymore

10) Uncheck sync Desktop/Documents/Download options and choose skip and Continue to Dropbox

11) Go to DB icon on bottom right of desktop screen

12) Close notice to try beta experience

13) Click on profile on top right of DB App-Preference-Account-Unlink This Dropbox

14) Sign back in with DB account you WANT to use

Seems to work for me and hoping for you, message if you have questions on steps

oliviafair
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox has added the Folder MY PC (Olivia). I cannot delete this folder and it is filling up my dropbox making it useless. I successfully managed to turn off the back up feature and get everything back in place, BUT I still have a folder in my dropbox called MyMac and a Downloads folder within that.

Regards, Olivia 

onplanners

ducttape
Explorer | Level 4

I'm just guessing with ideas, but delete with internet connection off, or maybe delete on dropbox.com, or on other devices if you've linked them as well? I GUESSING an idea might be to stop DB from syncing, delete on all devices, so when you connect back to DB, it'll see that folder is not there, hence, it should not be there across all devices.

Re: MacOS Backup Feature (for Desktop, Documents, and Downloads) - How to undo?

Juan J Reina
Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne  Gracias por la respuesta, pero no encuentro ese correo electronico que comentas.

Sigo sin poder eliminar las carpetas del esos dos ordenadores que ya no tengo, asi que retiré todos mis archivos de dropbox.

¿Podrias reenviar el correo de nuevo?

Gracias

Saludos

How-can-I-turn-off-the-automatic-computer-back

pierdeux
New member | Level 2

First I wish to say that I first used Dropbox more than 10 years ago. Over the years, I recommended your product to more than 20 people (who did install it): I have 13.25 Gb of free space with you guys... But this sneaky backup feature is unacceptable. The last time I have been so utterly angry with a piece of software was probably ten years ago, when coding CSS and being forced to take Internet Explorer into account: a definition of Hell.

In the meantime, I still have a problem which needs solving...

I had Dropbox installed on one phone and on laptop "1". With a new laptop (laptop "2"), I installed Dropbox tonight (around 11pm). I thought the installation was over (and I had started installing the next piece of software), when this Dropbox window pops up about this backup feature. I thought that clicking "Next" would tell me more about it than one vague paragraph had: as it turns out, unbeknonwst, I had just signed my soul to the Devil...

When I realized that Dropbox was accessing "My Documents" (without my consent: what sort of unethical Mob organisation does that?????), I put the sync-ing on pause, and tried deleting the "My PC" folder; to no avail. I tried deleting the folder on my Dropbox.com: not authorized. Tried the same on laptop (1): nope.

I then uninstalled Dropbox on both laptops ("1" and "2"). On Dropbox.com, I deleted all the files inside My PC, but could not delete the three folders (you know which ones). On laptop 2, I deleted the symb link in "My Documents".

I then found this thread and read pages 1 and 2. Realizing that I could not apply Daphne's recommendantions on the Dropbox.com version (since I had no Dropbox application on either laptop and this didn't seem to apply to the online version), I resorted to re-installing the application on laptop 1, manually un-checking the "My PC" folder sync-ing.

Anyway, I have now reinstalled the app on laptops 1 and 2 (not sync-ing the My PC folder). Yet the "My PC" folder keeps reappearing on both laptops. I keep unchecking the box next to the "My PC" folder in the selective synchronization window, and they keep re-checking themselves.

On top of that, I have lost the Downloads and Documents symb link in MyExplorer.

Oh, and My Documents folders (on both laptops) are sync-ed with QNAP's QSync on my NAS. You can imagine the mess I'm in at the moment.

I don't know if the answer to my problems is found in this thread: forgive me but I have been at it for 2.5 hours, it's 1:40 am, and I gave up reading this thread on page 7 (out of 22).

Please tell me someone is getting fired on this issue...

Re: Backing up my Desktop

maxineh
Explorer | Level 3

I CANNOT find Manage Backup option under Import tab!!!

ducttape
Explorer | Level 4

@maxineh It seems that that feature is only found in their beta version: beta version (Beta Build 98.3.151).

Re: How-can-I-turn-off-the-automatic-computer-back

ducttape
Explorer | Level 4

@pierdeux Your situation seem to sound a lot like mine with an old laptop, a new laptop, and phone all connected. I SEEM to have done something to stop this from happening. Go to page 21, close to the bottom, of these posts and I (@ducttape) placed what I did to "fix" it. Did this last night/this morning. It was guess and check, so some steps may have been useless or redundant, but I think I did something right. It's been good for about 24 hours now. 

Message back if you have questions.

The post starts with:

"POTENTIAL work around?"

maxineh
Explorer | Level 3

@ducttape wrote:

@maxineh It seems that that feature is only found in their beta version: beta version (Beta Build 98.3.151).

I installed the beta version you mentioned but still no luck. Thanks for your reply tho!

ducttape
Explorer | Level 4
@maxineh you can check out my "fix" on page 21 last post (or somewhere close to the bottom). My handle is and I listed what I did last night to fix mine. Perhaps give that a try. It was through guess and check though.

I feel the pain... I'm the lucky few that got it working, so I want to help as many users as I can. Message me if you have questions! 🙂
Need more support?