cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: file syncing.

Super User II
Super User II

Have a look and see if https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/automatic-computer-backup-faqs helps

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Involuntary Automatic Computer Backup SUCKS!!!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I had to uninstall and reinstall dropbox from my laptop due to memory issues.  I reinstalled the latest version of dropbox this morning only to find my DESKTOP, DOWNLOADS & DOCUMENTS get hi-jacked by dbx without my permission.  Spent all day figuring out how to turn it off and trying to work out the bugs on my compter without making duplicates.  I have been a happy dropbox user and customer for many years now.  You guys gotta get this straight or I will need to find another cloud solution.  If I would have been warned, I could have at least made a Restore Point on my computer.  

Highlighted

Re: Involuntary Automatic Computer Backup SUCKS!!!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey everyone, I hope you're all well and enjoying the first day of the month!

@Des66, from what I understand you're having issues with deleting the folder from your account. I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here so check your inbox when you have the time.

@Fran123, I wasn't able to see any previous posts from you here, do you possibly have multiple accounts? Please take a look at my previous post as I believe this was the other account you posted from since you have a similar username.

@ejbSF, I got back to you previously here. Please check out my post and let me know, our dev team is constantly working on this to make improvements since it's a beta feature.

Thanks for joining us here @mikebooz. The feature was most likely enabled during the setup of the app after reinstalling. Can you let me know if you're having any specific issues with this since enabling it? It sounds like you've disabled the feature already but I'd like to make sure.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Involuntary Automatic Computer Backup SUCKS!!!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

@Daphne   I agree with most everyone else that this backup system is horrible. I have turned off backup in the desktop app but I still have the My Mac folder with multiple iterations of nested shortcuts that seem to go into infinity. How can I get rid of these?

Highlighted

Re: Backing up my Desktop

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

i want to turn off the automatic backup and restore my filed to my hard drive.  I dont have a tray icon.  I have installed the Dropbox app.

On dropbox.com when i click on my initials I can't get to preferences or manage backups.

Please help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here!

Since you've turned off the backup @Lizl999, you can move the contents of the Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders (whichever you chose to backup) from within Dropbox back to their original locations.

Then, you can delete the "My Mac" folder from your Dropbox folder. Let me know if you have any trouble with this.

If the desktop app is running on your computer @Haroldlef then you should see the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar as outlined here. If you're not able to see the icon can you try launching the app manually on your computer?

If you're still having trouble accessing the desktop app preferences, can you let me know what OS your computer is?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am about to have a fit. My problem is the exact same as everyone else's; I'm a new user to DB and installed the desktop app, and I'm a multitasker so I was configuring other things on my laptop meanwhile and thought it would just take care of itself once installation was finished. I didn't realise it would start uploading my entire desktop to my drive!!

But the absolutely WORST thing about this is the fact that this stupid auto backup system completely restructures the framework of the file explorer - which I had no way to know as there isn't sufficient education on DB's part before you agree to participate in this beta feature - so when I realised what was happening I figured I could just cancel the syncing and delete whatever was uploaded to DB to clear up the storage space again. I received a warning that the file size was too large to recycle, so they would be deleted permanently. I didn't consider this an issue, because I assumed that the upload worked exactly like every other cloud upload usually does, i.e. that the uploads were creating copies of my files to DB.... But no, doing this deleted a MASSIVE CHUNK OF MY FILES BOTH ON DB *AND* LOCALLY, AND I HAVE NO WAY TO RESTORE THEM NOW.

I don't even care about getting those folders deleted, I JUST WANT MY FILES BACK! As you might imagine, those files are extremely important to me, it's a huge amount of work that I hadn't gotten around to backing up anywhere else yet, and before you tell me to check my recycling bin, I have already - both on my PC and DB - and there's NOTHING there. DB better be able to restore those files for me, because it is absolutely unacceptable to think that a file storage service can go ahead and PERMANENTLY DELETE FILES locally off your PC without properly informing the user of the consequences! Once I have my files back, I'll never use this horrific service again!!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I'm sorry but this has trespassed every limit. I'm very, very angry not only because of the Beta itself, but also with the poor response from the team. It's very disappointing, because it's an app I've been using so many years -and I certainly will not be using anymore- I never thought I would find this level of irresponsability, neglicence and, worst of all, lack of professionalism.
Daphne, have you read carefully the messages we've sent? How can you suggest us "move the contents of the Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders (whichever you chose to backup) from within Dropbox back to their original locations", when we've told you several times that the problem is the MyPC or MyMac folder is acting as a MIRROR. HOW [profanity removed as per Community Guidelines] CAN I MOVE THE CONTENTS OVER THE CONTENT? Seriously, do you know how to read? So, so, so disappointing.
I've come to the conclusion that you guys simply don't know what the hell are doing, and the simplest way to solve is saying goodbye to the files that missed because of this stupid Beta feature, format the PC, install all over again from scratch and certainly NEVER USE DROPBOX AGAIN.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I'm going to cry. I downloaded the beta version, as you said. I went into back-ups and un-ticked all the folders, like you said. There's no option to "Save" that. The only option is to click "X" out of the window, or "Not Now". I've tried both options - it still won't apply my new settings. You will not let me turn off back ups. I cannot get my "Desktop" folder out of Dropbox and back onto my pc - where I want it.

I'm trying to stay calm but I really don't have time to spend hours trying to back my old set up. I've already spent hours trying to - including accidentally deleting files and having to claw back files and giving up on some of them.

I just want my computer back, and if you don't help me that will have to be deleting Dropbox and never using it again - and telling everyone I know never to use it. Which is a pain in the arse, because I've used it for the last decade and it's all I know. 

I'm also very worried that even deleting Dropbox won't help because I don't know how to get my bloody Desktop folder back and I need it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

That's made it worse. Now all my Desktop folders aren't actually on my Desktop. The Desktop has a dropbox file on it, and I have to open that to access everything that I carefully arranged on my Desktop for ease of use.

I did as you said - exiting dropbox and re-starting my computer. The system under Preferences remains the same; I can go into Backups, I can untick the boxes- but there is no way to SAVE that option. I can click "Not Now" or I can click "X" to leave the window. Either way, my desktop remains synced (and completely buggared up, now).

Hovering over the icon says: "Dropbox 98.3.151 Up to Date"

I'm so frustrated. I want a big UNDO button so I can go back to a sane universe where all my files are where they belong on my Desktop and not hidden somewhere in your system

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?