cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dis-synchronized desktop/download/document folders from 2 different devices

Highlighted

Re: Unlink Documents, Downloads and Desktop

New member | Level 2

I am really confused with the backup funtion.

Before I use dropbox without this funtion and it was convenient.

Now dropbox's space is used by the unnecessary backup like this.

I tried many ways to turn off, remove PC's backup but Noway succeed.

How can I continue use dropbox.

How to change all to the really normal version as my first time using Dropbox?

Highlighted

Dis-synchronized desktop/download/document folders from 2 different devices

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have logged on to Dropbox by same account in 2 devices (personal laptop and business laptop). And I found that both desktop/download folder/document folder synchronized. (which means I can edit/save/delete files of desktop from different laptop). However, I DO NOT want to synchronize desktop/download folder/document folder between 2 devices.

I just want to edit/save/delete files which are upload to dropbox from different laptop but not on my desktop. 

How can I do? 

Highlighted

Re: Update--Backup your pc using dropbox

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your solution @JoshGuo. This also worked for me on my Mac.

1) Backup/Move your Dropbox files to another safe location on your computer or external hard drive (I put mine in the cloud storage of MEGA)

2) Completely Uninstall Dropbox from Mac OS X https://youtu.be/DUClSPFvCHMhttps://youtu.be/DUClSPFvCHM

3) Restart your computer

4) Set your Desktop, Documents and Downloads back by going to Finder > Sidebar

5) Re-install Dropbox without the beta option of Backing up your Desktop, Documents and Downloads. Skip this.

Hopefully everything's back to normal now.

So, I was trying to figure out where all my hard drive space went. Dropbox is a brilliant tool, but sometimes you need to uninstall it from your Mac. In my c...
Highlighted

Re: Dis-synchronized desktop/download/document folders from 2 different devices

Dropboxer

Hello @Webz Wei, thanks for reaching out to us. 

It sounds like you may have our computer backup feature enabled and, in this case, you'll have to first turn it off before trying to move the files back to their original location. 

You can find more information about this, here

Let me know if you have any trouble along the way, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

When installing the desktop app I enabled backup, how can I undo this and save to only one place?

New member | Level 2

Hi, I downloaded today dropbox developer and by the set up , i had to fill out an option to backup [computer, downloads and 1 more] all 3 were automatilly check-in and I submitted. later all my files started getting saved 3 in places. it slowed down my computer and took away all the space. How do I undo the 3 places and save only to 1????

Highlighted

Re: dropbox developer and by the set up

Dropboxer

Hi there @JacobMaster100, I hope you're having a good week so far!

Can you just clarify for me what you're referring to when you mentioned that you'd like to save to only 1 place? Would you like to disable the backup feature and have your files only in their original location?

If so, you can disable the computer backup feature you can follow the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article.

Once you've disabled this, you can move the files from the "My PC/Mac" folder in Dropbox back to their original locations on your computer.

With this feature disabled, you can just move specific files from your computer to the Dropbox folder that you'd like to sync with your account.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Update--Backup your pc using dropbox

Dropboxer

Thanks for those screenshots @innerwatch!

Since the option there is showing "Set up" instead of manage now, that means the backup has been disabled which is why the steps after clicking on this is showing like this.

As you went with the second option to unlink and relink (and paused syncing), can you now move the "My Mac" folder out of the local Dropbox folder on your computer? If the folder is still located in the Dropbox folder, it will try sync the folder to your account online as if it was like any other normal folder.

If you have any issues moving that "My Mac" folder out of Dropbox, please do let me know!

I'm glad to hear that you seem to have resolved the issue @JoshGuo and @mmi-dropbox, please don't hesitate to get back to me here though if you have any further questions/issues as I'd be happy to help out.

To see if there's anything we can do to help regarding your missing files @WisdomQ, I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here. Please check your inbox when you have a moment for my message.

Thanks for joining us here @Tuyet, can you try the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article to disable the backup feature? This is a new feature that's currently in beta and it's not compulsory to use this with the desktop app.

Once this is disabled, you can move the contents of the backup folder "My PC" in Dropbox back to the original locations on your computer.

Daphne

Highlighted

I installed the desktop app and is now backing up my computer's Desktop, Downloads etc. What gives?

New member | Level 2

I installed DB on a new Windows PC (it's also running on my Macbook). The problem is that EVERYTHING on my PC is getting stored in Drobox, not just files that I put in the dropbox folder. My desktop files, downloads, installation files... EVERYTHING. How do I correct this?

Highlighted

Re: New DB installation saving EVERYTHING on my PC -- help!

Dropboxer

Hey @tman1966, I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you. 

It sounds like the computer backup feature was enabled when you installed the desktop app. 

In this case, could you turn it off by following these steps and then moving the files back to their original locations?

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil

Highlighted

Re: Backing up my Desktop

New member | Level 2

Daphne, 

I want to remove the 'MY PC' folder from Dropbox in the cloud version and in my Dropbox Folder on my hard drive. Because I share my dropbox with a another person - this will be very confusing for them. I don't think your other solution will address my problem

Thankyou for your help

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?