cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PC is backing up to the site, how do I stop it?

Highlighted

Re: Backing up my Desktop

Dropboxer

Hi there @PCC1, thanks for reaching out to us here!

To remove the folder backup folder from your account, you'll need to disable the backup feature on the computer it was enabled on first.

If you haven't already done this, you can disable the backup with the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article.

Once the backup is disabled, you can move the contents of "My PC" back to the original locations on your computer (ie. Desktop, Downloads and Documents).

It's very important to do this before deleting the "My PC" folder as the files will have essentially have been moved into the Dropbox folder and deleting the "My PC" folder without moving the files back (as mentioned above) will delete the files from your computer.

When you've moved those files back to your computer, you can then delete the empty "My PC" folder from your Dropbox account.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

I don't want all my files on Dropbox

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I uploaded the folder I wanted to share and that worked fine. What I don't want is that every file on my laptop is synced with Dropbox and it shows that my storage is full. I only want to share a file on an occasional basis. Please help.

Highlighted

Re: I don't want all my files on Dropbox

Collaborator | Level 10

Hi gmichel1

Dropbox only syncs the files that are in the Dropbox folder (Google Drive has an option where additional drives can be added too, but not Dropbox (yet I hope)). The new Backups option (can be found in Preferences >> Backups) will also move the Desktop, Documents and other folders inside the main Dropbox folder and will then sync these files as well. 

You said that "every file on my laptop" is being synced to Dropbox. Can you please elaborate on that?

Regards

Casper

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @gmichel1, thanks for posting on the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application.

Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

Hi Jay

I noticed that many Dropbox users complain about the new backup feature that rolled out to users in the past week or so. Almost every 2nd post on the forum is about someone who "lost" their files. Perhaps Dropbox can learn from this by effectively communicating such a change to their customers well in advance and give the users to opt in/not for the feature? Just a thought. 

Regards

Casper

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I tried to follow your directions, but I do not have an import tab.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Daphne , I tried what you suggested a few posts back :

As you went with the second option to unlink and relink (and paused syncing), can you now move the "My Mac" folder out of the local Dropbox folder on your computer? If the folder is still located in the Dropbox folder, it will try sync the folder to your account online as if it was like any other normal folder.

I did try to move the "My Mac" folder out but I got this error message:Capture d’écran 2020-07-10 à 09.10.08.png

Which translates as "Unable to finish the operation because of an unexpected error (error code -50)".

Highlighted

My PC is backing up to the site, how do I stop it?

New member | Level 2

Hi,

Just installed Dropbox on my PC. A colleague wants to share a folder or files today. I just have the basic account.

Now Dropbox is uploading all my files to the cloud and has also moved them to a Dropbox file on my PC. My Dropbox is full and may also now be hanging.

Questions:

1. Is there any way to reverse this process 'safely'?

2. If not, can I delete files on Dropbox (to free up space) without it deleting them on my PC?

3. Are they still on my PC (C:\Users\Home\Dropbox\My PC) or just accessible from the cloud via there?

4. What happens to my PC files if I disconnect Dropbox, either mid sync or when/if it finishes?

5. How can I use Dropbox like it used to be - as somewhere to store and share specific files and folders that I have chosen to upload and access specific shared folders from others?

Help please.

Thanks in advance

Danny

Highlighted

Cross links between dropbox profile and actual PC Desktop

New member | Level 2

Hello,

Fos some particular reason "My PC (DESKTOP-32B0IC3)" folder appeared in my Dropbox account and the folders in this file and MY PC Desktop are connected in real time. How can i just delete "My PC (DESKTOP-32B0IC3)" folder and simultaneously leave the files on my PC desktop untouched?

Highlighted

Re: How can I turn off the automatic computer back up feature?

Explorer | Level 4

Well, Dropbox, you have another unhappy customer!  I cannot believe the mess your team has created.  I don't have free time to fix your error.  I have turned off the Backup under Preferences.  I have Paused the Syncing feature.  My computer fan just runs and runs and runs.  

I have spent the afternoon putting our Desktop back together (I think).  I cannot even begin to fathom how much time it will take to get Documents back in order.  What is your team's solution to make sure EVERY file is accounted for before I can delete MY PC?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?