cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: How can I turn off the automatic computer back up feature?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey peeps, thanks for joining the discussion!

@iwhalley, could you just clarify for me, when you add new files into the Desktop, do they get added to Dropbox? Can you try moving the files from the Dropbox backup folder back to their original locations (eg. Desktop)?

If you haven't already @MASSIMO56 and @mark1188 can you please check out the steps here to disable the backup? Once the feature is disabled, you can move the files from the backup folder in Dropbox back to their original locations on your computer.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Deleting a file from Dropbox without deleting from PC

Super User II
Super User II

@lmylona wrote:

I installed Dropbox onto my PC and somehow my entire PC folder (entitled My PC) was put onto the Dropbox folder.

You have the computer backup feature enabled.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Yes, Disabling backup from your computer and then returning items from your dropbox desktop folder worked. I don't know how I enabled desktop backup to begin with. Glad I was helped reversing it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the advice.  Late last night I was poking around in dropbox and stumbled over the backup controls.  I'm pretty sure that when I installed the dropbox app on my computer and was clicking through the process that I accepted the backup option.  What I didn't realize was that the files would be replaced with links.  If I'd slowed down a bit I wouldn't have accepted the backup option.  

Anyhow, I turned off the backup feature and had a moment of panic when all the link icons went away, but quickly realized the files were in the dropbox folder on my machine and were easily copied back to their original locations.  

All is back to where it was.

Thanks again for your help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your updates here!

I'm very glad to hear that the advice did the trick for both of you.

If there's anything else that I can help with, please don't hesitate to get back to me here. I'd be more than happy to help out.

Hope you both enjoy the rest of your week!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Enabled PC Backup by Mistake - Now need to move all local files out of dropbox

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I discovered I didn't turn off the desktop backup.

My backups are still occurring since the "My documents" folders have been moved into dropbox.

I checked by the adding of a new file. 

I need to have them outside of dropbox.

If I turn off the backup; the files will still remain--although the disable didn't work properly.

My work-around is to manually move all of the folders out of dropbox. Then I get a pop-up that asks that all the files are moved out of dropbox; which is what I wanted. 

I will continue to look at the suggestions and recommendations. 

Thanks,

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Where is the "MANAGE BACKUP BUTTON" in Backup Tab?
Windows 10 OS

Dropbox Version - 102.4.431

My desktop files keep on syncing.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello!

How can I disable my Automatic Backups for my Desktop, Documents, Downloads?

I've reinstalled dropbox and when the option poped for the automatic backup, I clicked "not now",

now it is still syncing. Please Help.

Windows 10 OS

Dropbox Version 102.4.431

Highlighted

Re: Backing up my Desktop

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

So I had this problem when I downloaded dropbox a few weeks ago. It was a terrible experience and I cried because I thought I lost all my files. I used this fix and then just today I started seeing gree check marks on all my files again and dropbox emailed me that my storrage was full. It decided to backup my computer again!! And now the files are in an even more conveluted place than before. I just want dropbox off of my computer at this point. Please tell me how to uninstall the dropbox app and how to do it so that I dont lose all my files. I already stopped the sync again but last time it still deleted my files when I removed them from dropbox in the browser. Please help me I am so beyond frustrated.

Highlighted

Re: Backing up my Desktop

Explorer | Level 4

Unfortunately, I didn't see a response to the issue in time.

The new 'beta' feature was not intuitive to me; I thought I followed all of the steps to turn off the backup, and yet the files were still being backedup in dropbox. I also saw that if I turned off the backup, the files would still remain in dropbox. Which is what I did not want.

For my workaround,  I had to move my key file folders - Desktop, Downloads, My Docs out of dropbox. I manually moved the individual contents of each folder -- Instead of moving the folders directly.  When I did that the key files were moved  out of dropbox, which is what I wanted.

I also had to upgrade to a paid account with a 14 day trial, since the downloads folder is huge -- obviously there were lots of executables in the folder. 

Be careful with moving the files; there was a warning about removing items, as it would cause lost files.

I'm not sure what will happen if you had to disable your account...

Good luck !

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?