cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Backing up my Desktop

Torsten Pedersen
Explorer | Level 4

That solution works, and is probably the only way to get rid of the "DropBox-backup" sad there is no other way, and sad that we did not get any help from the developer.......

Torsten Pedersen
Explorer | Level 4

That is the solution that "ben-HQET" writes.....;-)

prfprf
New member | Level 2

Hello, I tried this new feature on two computer that I already use Dropbox with, had similar issues as other users have mentioned in this thread. The feature moved my Desktop, Download, and Documents folders out of my user, and into My Mac somewhere in Dropbox so that they were only visible as alias folders in my user (on both computers). Once I enabled on both computers, the feature started to duplicate all the files in those three folders, so I stopped the backup and attempted to disable the features because it became apparent it was not able to sync two computers without making dups. I was able to disable the feature using these exact steps you listed on my Desktop, which I enabled the feature on second, but not my laptop, which I had tried the feature on first. When I disabled the feature on my desktop, it deleted everything from the Desktop Download and Documents folders on my laptop, and all I have are empty locked alias folders. I get the following error when I try to disable using your instructions on my laptop: "Couldn't stop backup because My Mac was renamed, deleted, or moved. Undo this change, then try again." I assume enabling the feature on my desktop changed the My Mac name somewhere in Dropbox that I cannot see such that my laptop cannot be recognized? Not sure how to get this feature off my laptop and get my files back. Please can you help? Thanks! 

Schui1024
Collaborator | Level 8

my only hope for you is that you have a backup.

So many people are cheesed off with Dropbox for doing this, and you can probably tell by the number of posts on this ONE chat session alone that they plan to do nothing about it.

Probably because many users will just pay for the increased space in Dropbox, not realising they're being shafted.

Who really wants to sync their entire desktop/documents and DOWNLOADS...
Dropbox was perfect for manually managing your files you wanted to sync.. but they got greedy, set this backup to grab all your data and thereby increase your costs/their profits.

OneDrive is my answer. Works as you'd expect. No Fuss. No Tricks like this. Dropbox, you've lost your way.

Torsten Pedersen
Explorer | Level 4
I think there is a back- up function in dropbox, for the last 30 days.
Then you will probably have to do it all over again, but be carefulm to do it alm in exactly the way it is described.

DucanhLV
New member | Level 2

Not work king. There are no SAVE button after uncheck all the box. 
A lost all my document in my ofther app. So annoying

kdavison
New member | Level 2

Gees, this was a TOTAL time suck. Why has Dropbox taken this aggressive interventionist attitude? I had to re-download Dropbox last week after a security breach (that has still not been definitively resolved) and in the kerfuffle I clearly overlooked this clause - I evidently didn't 'unclick' the option to sync my entire desktop. The time it just took me to take the steps above was a total waste of my time. The option should be more prominent during the downloading process. Really sneaky and annoying. 

innerwatch
Helpful | Level 6

Just dropping by to say I've stopped using Dropbox for more than 6 months now and I'm shocked to still receive updates from this forum, seeing that this issue still has not been resolved. There are lots of other solutions out there guys and also... don't forget to backup your files on a physical HD every now and then.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Need more support?