cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I turn off the automatic computer back up feature?

Highlighted

How can I turn off the automatic computer back up feature?

Helpful | Level 5

Hi DropBoxers

I'm using the latest beta on Win10 - 94.3.379.

I've been trying out your new beta-feature that backs-up my desktop and other files. I've decided that I don't want DropBox to do this any longer - how do I turn it off?

Thanks

Steve

426 Replies 426
Highlighted

Some updated/upgraded option moved ALL my desktop files to Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

This has destroyed my desktop setup.  Everything gone - don't know where. A "where are my files" file on the desktop doesn't open.  WHAT A TERRIBLE fail on Dropbox's part.  How do I revert my desktop back to the way it was 10 minutes ago??

Highlighted

Re: Some updated/upgraded option moved ALL my desktop files to Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

This also happen to me. it was a beta version that gives the dropbox application rights to sync desktop, downloads, documents. 

a new backup folder appeared on my desktop files that I can't delete. 

I tried disabling beta suggestions, unisntalled the dropbox applicaitons and delete all files, but this didn't work. 

I lost access to all my downloads and desktop files while trying to restore this. 

When I try to delete the backup folder from the web application, I get this error message "This operation isn\’t permitted." 

Highlighted

Re: Backing up my Desktop

Helpful | Level 5

I'm using the Mac app (build v94.3.379) and want to undo this too. I was hoping I could use my "TimeMachine" to just restore to an version of my folders before the beta sync but however this was built defeats that Time Machine ability to roll back to a prior version. Very frustrating!

Highlighted

MacOS Backup Feature (for Desktop, Documents, and Downloads) - How to undo?

Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox on MacOS prompted me with a feature that can back up my Mac (Desktop, Documents, and Downloads folders) to Dropbox. I clicked okay and it moved those three folders to Dropbox in a "My Mac" folder and replaced their original locations with what I assume to be be symlinks. How do I undo this move? Can't find any support articles on it.

Highlighted

Re: MacOS Backup Feature (for Desktop, Documents, and Downloads) - How to undo?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @sprocket003, I hope you're well today!

I'm just checking on this for you from my side, I'll get back to you with further information once I have an update for you.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there everyone, I hope you're all doing well!

To turn off this setting, please follow the steps below:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
  2. Click your profile picture or initials.
  3. Click Preferences.
  4. Click the Import tab.
  5. Click Manage backup
  6. Uncheck the folders you’d like to remove from Dropbox or toggle all files to Off
  7. Click Save.
Your files will remain in your Dropbox folder on your computer and in your account online. However, they will no longer appear in their original folders on your computer. 

In those locations, they’ll be replaced by a shortcut to the Dropbox folder. To move them back into their original location you can drag-and-drop those files from the Dropbox folder back to their original folders.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Daphne,

Thanks for the help. I tried undoing this mess as you suggested and copied my documents back to my computer so they'd be saved locally BUT my Dropbox account doesn't seem to have decreased in size leading me to beleive me that all those files still exist somewhere in Dropbox and weren't actually removed from when I pulled them over. Nor do these new "backup" folders show in my list of folders so how can I go verify that they're gone from the cloud and just saved locally?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @anotheractor!

Is this change still syncing to your account online? Please check the sync status of your desktop app to see what the current progress is.

If it shows "up to date", then I'd suggest checking your account online to see if you can still see the folders there.

Keep me posted on your findings!

Daphne

Highlighted

Backup your pc using dropbox

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

4 days ago I received a dropbox update, 'backup your pc' with a business account option. I accepted the update but didn't accept the 14 days trial. Apparently, this created a new folder in my dropbox file in the name of 'My PC' with 3 folders: desktop, documents, and downloads. The new folder made me exceed my cloud space so I decided I don't want this updated and I wanted to cancel it.

I couldn't figure out how to undo it (an action I used in the past but now disappeared from my eyes). I tried to delete the new folder from my cloud account but I got an error message that I cannot delete these folders. So, I tried to delete them from my dropbox folder on my PC. When I deleted the downloads folder from my dropbox it also deleted it from my PC. Apparently, these weren't folders, they were shortcuts the PC system folders. When I restore the deleted folder from the recycle bin in my computer, it restored the folder and not the shortcut, so it became worst and now I have 2 downloads folder without the link to the system folder. Currently, everything is a mess and I don't know how to solve this. When I tried to move this new folder (my PC) to a different location on my computer, the folder restored itself because it was on the cloud account.

The next thing I did was to restore my computer to the last date possible, but this operation couldn't be complete. The syn option allows deleting files from the computer and keeps them on the cloud. I wanted the opposite. I wanted to remove the new folder from my cloud account and keep it on my desktop folder at first, and then cancel this update.
The bottom line, this update changed the location of these 3 folders (documents, desktop, and downloads) on my computer to the dropbox folder and are now replicated.
I don't want it. I want to go back and undo it.
I DO NOT WANT this backup folder (my PC) at all! I want to cancel this update!!!!!
I couldn't reach the support. Please help me solve this and help me connect with someone from dropbox.

Thanks

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?