cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I turn off the automatic computer back up feature?

How can I turn off the automatic computer back up feature?

StevePalmerUK
Helpful | Level 5

Hi DropBoxers

I'm using the latest beta on Win10 - 94.3.379.

I've been trying out your new beta-feature that backs-up my desktop and other files. I've decided that I don't want DropBox to do this any longer - how do I turn it off?

Thanks

Steve

764 Replies 764

Some updated/upgraded option moved ALL my desktop files to Dropbox.

prunge
Explorer | Level 4

This has destroyed my desktop setup.  Everything gone - don't know where. A "where are my files" file on the desktop doesn't open.  WHAT A TERRIBLE fail on Dropbox's part.  How do I revert my desktop back to the way it was 10 minutes ago??

Re: Some updated/upgraded option moved ALL my desktop files to Dropbox.

Guest_
Explorer | Level 4

This also happen to me. it was a beta version that gives the dropbox application rights to sync desktop, downloads, documents. 

a new backup folder appeared on my desktop files that I can't delete. 

I tried disabling beta suggestions, unisntalled the dropbox applicaitons and delete all files, but this didn't work. 

I lost access to all my downloads and desktop files while trying to restore this. 

When I try to delete the backup folder from the web application, I get this error message "This operation isn\’t permitted." 

Re: Backing up my Desktop

anotheractor
Helpful | Level 5

I'm using the Mac app (build v94.3.379) and want to undo this too. I was hoping I could use my "TimeMachine" to just restore to an version of my folders before the beta sync but however this was built defeats that Time Machine ability to roll back to a prior version. Very frustrating!

MacOS Backup Feature (for Desktop, Documents, and Downloads) - How to undo?

sprocket003
Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox on MacOS prompted me with a feature that can back up my Mac (Desktop, Documents, and Downloads folders) to Dropbox. I clicked okay and it moved those three folders to Dropbox in a "My Mac" folder and replaced their original locations with what I assume to be be symlinks. How do I undo this move? Can't find any support articles on it.

Re: MacOS Backup Feature (for Desktop, Documents, and Downloads) - How to undo?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @sprocket003, I hope you're well today!

I'm just checking on this for you from my side, I'll get back to you with further information once I have an update for you.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there everyone, I hope you're all doing well!

To turn off this setting, please follow the steps below:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
  2. Click your profile picture or initials.
  3. Click Preferences.
  4. Click the Import tab.
  5. Click Manage backup
  6. Uncheck the folders you’d like to remove from Dropbox or toggle all files to Off
  7. Click Save.
Your files will remain in your Dropbox folder on your computer and in your account online. However, they will no longer appear in their original folders on your computer. 

In those locations, they’ll be replaced by a shortcut to the Dropbox folder. To move them back into their original location you can drag-and-drop those files from the Dropbox folder back to their original folders.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

anotheractor
Helpful | Level 5

Daphne,

Thanks for the help. I tried undoing this mess as you suggested and copied my documents back to my computer so they'd be saved locally BUT my Dropbox account doesn't seem to have decreased in size leading me to beleive me that all those files still exist somewhere in Dropbox and weren't actually removed from when I pulled them over. Nor do these new "backup" folders show in my list of folders so how can I go verify that they're gone from the cloud and just saved locally?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @anotheractor!

Is this change still syncing to your account online? Please check the sync status of your desktop app to see what the current progress is.

If it shows "up to date", then I'd suggest checking your account online to see if you can still see the folders there.

Keep me posted on your findings!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Can I move back my Documents folder to its old location outside of Dropbox?

ericjwolfe
New member | Level 2

New to dropbox. Synced all document files to dropbox and discovered documents folder on hard drive is empty. Can files be transfered back to hard drive or only remain in dropbox? Thanks for your help.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    KatieKlono New member | Level 2
    AlanDick Explorer | Level 3
    Schui1024 Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?