cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I turn off the automatic computer back up feature?

Re: reinstall files to hard drive from dropbox

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @ericjwolfe, thanks for joining the Community!

If you’re using the automatic computer backup, then the folders have now been moved to inside the Dropbox folder, and replaced with shortcuts.

You won’t be able to move the folders back to their original location until you disable the feature in the settings, as per the article.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Backup your pc using dropbox

Liat P
New member | Level 2

4 days ago I received a dropbox update, 'backup your pc' with a business account option. I accepted the update but didn't accept the 14 days trial. Apparently, this created a new folder in my dropbox file in the name of 'My PC' with 3 folders: desktop, documents, and downloads. The new folder made me exceed my cloud space so I decided I don't want this updated and I wanted to cancel it.

I couldn't figure out how to undo it (an action I used in the past but now disappeared from my eyes). I tried to delete the new folder from my cloud account but I got an error message that I cannot delete these folders. So, I tried to delete them from my dropbox folder on my PC. When I deleted the downloads folder from my dropbox it also deleted it from my PC. Apparently, these weren't folders, they were shortcuts the PC system folders. When I restore the deleted folder from the recycle bin in my computer, it restored the folder and not the shortcut, so it became worst and now I have 2 downloads folder without the link to the system folder. Currently, everything is a mess and I don't know how to solve this. When I tried to move this new folder (my PC) to a different location on my computer, the folder restored itself because it was on the cloud account.

The next thing I did was to restore my computer to the last date possible, but this operation couldn't be complete. The syn option allows deleting files from the computer and keeps them on the cloud. I wanted the opposite. I wanted to remove the new folder from my cloud account and keep it on my desktop folder at first, and then cancel this update.
The bottom line, this update changed the location of these 3 folders (documents, desktop, and downloads) on my computer to the dropbox folder and are now replicated.
I don't want it. I want to go back and undo it.
I DO NOT WANT this backup folder (my PC) at all! I want to cancel this update!!!!!
I couldn't reach the support. Please help me solve this and help me connect with someone from dropbox.

Thanks

Re: Backup your pc using dropbox

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @Liat P, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this so far!

You'll need to follow the steps I outlined here in my post above to turn off the automatic back up.

Once you've done that, you can move the files from the Dropbox folder back into the original locations.

Please let me know how it goes! 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

How do I delete the Desktop folder from Dropbox but leave it untouched on my computer?

chall3809
Helpful | Level 5

I'm really confused!  I just installed Dropbox yesterday with the new Quicken and it added 3 folders: Documents, Downloads and Desktop.  I'm almost out of space now.  All I want to do is remove all 3 of these folders when I tried to Delete Downloads it won't get rid of the folder.  I get an error about not being able to delete 1 file.  I tried on just the one folder as I don't want to lose all of the files on my desktop if I delete them from Dropbox.

I've tried searching help, but not getting much closer to understanding how this all works between syncing Dropbox and my Desktop.

Thanks

Re: Backing up my Desktop

sprocket003
Helpful | Level 6

It is not lettingme drag the original folders back to their places. When I drag (in MacOS) I get a grey "no" icon appear. Can't move the files/folders at all.

sprocket003
Helpful | Level 6

Nevermind, it's working. There should be an automated way of Dropbox returning the folders to their original lcoations.

Move Downloads, Documents and Desktop back to the original locations!

Luiz Naveda
New member | Level 2

Some weeks ago the dropbox offered to backup Downloads, Documents and Desktop and I accepted.
For my surprise and without any information, the app moved these folders to the dropbox folder and created an alias,
This is so technically and professionally bizarre. People that work with coding and other path dependent tasks will be fooled. 

Now I cant find any sort of documentation how to roll back the process and I cant even rename the folder that was created.

Please, help me to solve this. I will be moving out of Dropbox soon. This service is not serious. 

Regards

Luiz

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @chall3809 and @sprocket003, thanks for nudging us on the Dropbox Community. 

Initially, @sprocket003, glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end, and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

Also, @chall3809, I moved your post to this thread where other users have also expressed the same question.

For this reason, could you have a look at @Daphne's post, here, and let us know if it does the trick for you? 

Keep us posted - thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

chall3809
Helpful | Level 5

Actually,  "@Daphne's post, here" is not accurate anymore.  There is no link for Import under Preferences.

What I had to do was unlink my computer using the desktop app and do the rest as far as moving files back to their original locations.

This SHOULD be handled automatically whenever Dropbox is uninstalled.

Unlink Documents, Downloads and Desktop

fkaralis
New member | Level 2

Hello

During install in a new computer, I checked the option about linking Documents, Downloads and Desktop folders. Now I want to undo this since it's using too much of my Dropbox space which I employed for other uses. 

Can you please tell me how to unlink those specific folders, and delete the <Computer-name> folder in my Dropbox? 

Thanks

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AlanDick New member | Level 2
    Schui1024 Collaborator | Level 8
    Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?