cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I turn off the automatic computer back up feature?

Re: Unlink Documents, Downloads and Desktop

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @fkaralis, thanks for posting on the Community!

Try the steps in @Daphne's post here. I’ve also merged your thread there to keep related questions in the same conversation.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Unlink Documents, Downloads and Desktop

fkaralis
New member | Level 2

As @chall3809 says above, @Daphne's post is not relevant, but not because there's no Import under Preferences, but because there's no Manage backup under Import.

Anyway, I fixed this after re-installing Dropbox (had to manually move back my files first) and choosing Advanced options > Choose which files to sync, or somthing like that somwhere in the installation final steps.

Unexpectedly frustrating experience, to say the least.

Cannot Get rid of My PC folder

chrisj946
New member | Level 2

Dropbox has added the Folder MY PC (Chris). I cannot delete this folder and it is filling up my dropbox making it useless. Everytime I delete it is says there is an error . When I delete it from explorer it just re uploads the data to drop box again. I have un selected the folder using selective sync but every time it uploads whats in the folder. This is driving insane and is rediculous. Please help.

Re: How can I turn off the automatic computer back up feature?

larryinfl
Helpful | Level 6

I have the same issue as chrisj946.  I successfully managed to turn off the back up feature and get everything back in place, BUT I still have a folder in my dropbox called MyMac and a Downloads folder within that.  Both are empty, and I can NOT delete them from the web interface, or the desktop app.  The instructions provided by Daphne do not work for me, because when I click Manage backup, none of the folders are checked, so I can not "uncheck" them.  Bottom line, I have been stuck with this empty folder within a folder for days now, and spent hours back and forth with support via chat and email and still no solution.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @chrisj946 and @larryinfl, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

If you want to remove the folder in question, you'll have to first turn off automatic computer backup from your desktop app. 

Once you do this, as @Daphne also mentions, your files will remain in your Dropbox account, but they will no longer appear in their original folders on your computer. However, you can drag-and-drop those files from the Dropbox folder, back to their original folders, at any point in time. 

Hope this helps, but let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

larryinfl
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, but I have tried this many times and it does not work.  

When I attempt to turn off back up, I go to "Import" and then "Manage Backup", it then gives me the opportunity as if the option was never turned on.  All three folders are checked, and I uncheck them all, but then the "next" button is no longer active.     

It may help to know that when I initially set up backup, I aborted the process mid stream as I did not like the changes being made.  At that point, I could not find any support online, but was able to re-create the downloads folder and move things back to where they were originally.  However, awhile later, I realized the MyMac folder is still there with an empty downloads folder within, and I can still not remove.

Putting Mac Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders back where they should be

James M.53
Helpful | Level 5

Not long ago I decided to test a new Dropbox feature that put my Mac's Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders into  a new folder ("My Mac (JMC-MBPro-2.local") within Dropbox. Now, however, I want to go back to the "old" way where the Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders are in their classical positions within my Users folder. How to I reverse the changes made by Dropbox?

I'm on Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 and Dropbox 95.3.437

Thanks! 

James

Re: Putting Mac Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders back where they should be

James M.53
Helpful | Level 5

The feature is described here, and I just want to reverse the changes: https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/28/dropbox-beta/ 

James

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us, @larryinfl

Could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the Import tab, as well as what you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock?

This will give me a better visual understanding of what you're seeing. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

How can I stop the automatic backup of my desktop and documents folder?

rodbarbosa
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox became annoying, since last update it started sync my desktop and document folder. It is consuming all space and it seens that I cant be removed.

So, is there somehow to stop this sync? I've tried selective sync but doesnt work. Until now the only solution was to remove dropbox from my machine.

Can anyone help?

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    MietVdh New member | Level 2
    NotHavingFun Explorer | Level 3
    croyt Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?