cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I turn off the automatic computer back up feature?

I active by error My PC h-dexding-pc

CarlosPerez82
New member | Level 2

Hi, community,

I have a problem,

Today, I activated by error the My PC h-dexding-pc function through Dropbox. My Dropbox synchronized the Documents, Desktop, and Downloads folders from my PC, I thought that only excluding the files within the folder created by Dropbox I would not have a problem. However, I observed that when I excluding the files from My PC h-dexdding-pc the same files are excluded from my PC. How do I do to excluding that function of my dropbox without it lose my files?

Thanks, people for your help.

Re: Dropbox back up

loafenzy
Explorer | Level 4

So this is my problem: 

I can't use my desktop nor downloads folder properly. 

I've tried to go to the Dropbox preferences and set up again but there I need some permission settings changed, which i did. (allowing dropbox access to the folder. Cmd+i -> allow access -> Dropbox write only) But still it's not working to set it up and turn it off again. 

So I'm really out of ideas here, what I can do. My desktop and downloads folder is not working and I feel like Dropbox has control over all my files. Would appreciate some help with this issue. 

@Lori 

Re: I active by error My PC h-dexding-pc

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @CarlosPerez82, I hope you're having a great Tuesday so far!

I've moved you under this thread, since your question is similar to what others expressed.

You can find how to disable the feature here

Also @loafenzy, what problem do you have when trying to use your folders? Do you get any errors? 

Keep me posted!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Get my files back

Carly13
New member | Level 2

Hi, I set up Dropbox last week and this morning I realised that my files are no longer on my laptop and are only being stored on Dropbox. I DO NOT WANT THIS!!! I dont recall agreeing to this at all! I have gone through several of the steps recommended, but cant find anywhere to change my preferences or settings. I Just want my files back on my laptop! Please can someone help

Re: Restore Desktop from unwanted backup

Lori
Dropboxer

Thank you for the screenshot @croyt

This seems like a Windows error. Do you use the device with admin privileges?

If I were you, I'd also check the properties of the folder, to see what you find. You can do this by right clicking, then selecting Properties and then - Security tab.

As for getting to know more on how Community works, at the moment we don't have a learning page. I have to admit it's a great idea!

You can always ask us anything you need to know, and also use this page to learn how to get the most out of Dropbox.

Thanks.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I active by error My PC h-dexding-pc

loafenzy
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

Yes they seem to be full or not existing at all. If I try to download a image from google for example, it can't be saved on the downloads folder. I can't either screenshot stuff because the desktop is not exciting either???? Still I can see the folder but it's just not working like it should. And my desktop is just fully empty. 

This is just really holding me back at my work, and been keeping me down, really don't understand this Dropbox feature, have been seeing a lot of people having issue with this. 

Like now the only option I see here is to restore my computer? 

Re: Get my files back

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @Carly13, I hope you're well.

Can you please try turning off the feature as shown here? Let me know if this works for you.

I’ve also merged your thread into this post to keep related questions in the same conversation.

Cheers!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Re: Restore Desktop from unwanted backup

croyt
Explorer | Level 3

OK, thanks, @Lori.  Obviously, it's a Windows message.  The question is how did Dropbox meddle with folder permissions such that they're all greyed out for myPC/Desktop but not for the parent Users node myPC_Desktop.jpgusers_roy.jpgand, more to the point, how do I regain control? 

The images show the situation with the Dropbox client installed but not running while I'm both the current user and an Administrator.  The checkmarks are different color-density and I have no clue as to what that means, save the error message I previously posted.  

My files have disappeared

AlanDick
Explorer | Level 3

I have a MacBook Air.  I don't use Dropbox much.  A few days ago I clicked dropbox and it asked me if I wanted to sync.  Without thinking I said yes.  Soon storage was full.  I stopped the sync.  But now all my files have gone, both from Dropbox and my computer!  I need these files back.  I can't find a contact number to phone dropbox or even email them.  What do I do?

Re: My files have disappeared

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @AlanDick, thanks for posting your question here!

It seems you're referring to the Computer Backup feature, hence I moved you under this thread. 

Can you take a look into these steps, and let me know if you have any questions? 

Cheers!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    MietVdh New member | Level 2
    NotHavingFun Explorer | Level 3
    croyt Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?