Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I upload large files to my account?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dear folks,

first of all, thanks inadvance. I need to upload some huge video files (90gB and 130gb) to my dropbox accpunt. I'm aware I can't do this via web because dropbox inner limitations. I installed the app on my laptop and then tried to upload the files from the external drive where they are stored, but that's not possible. The files need to be on the drive where the app is installed. I have no free space on this drive and don't want to be hanging around with moving this big files from one drive to another. After a very frustrating conversation with Javier from the dropbox support who probably was as AI, I got to the point of measuring if leaving Dropbox for another company with less limitations. Before doing this, do you have any tip on this scenario? Is worth upgrading to a bussiness account? Dropbox.com is not clear about their limits on the description of the different plans.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: upload limitations PLUS account

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @lopezdelaosa, thanks for reaching out to us here!

In this case, I'd suggest moving the Dropbox folder location to your external drive so that you can upload the content to your account. You can do this with the steps outlined here.

If you'd like to then move the Dropbox folder back to your internal drive, once syncing has finished you can set the files to be "online only" with Smart Sync. This will mean they won't take space on your hard drive.

Also, upgrading your Dropbox account wouldn't make any difference in how you can upload your data, as it's not limited based on your current plan.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @lopezdelaosa, thanks for reaching out to us here!

In this case, I'd suggest moving the Dropbox folder location to your external drive so that you can upload the content to your account. You can do this with the steps outlined here.

If you'd like to then move the Dropbox folder back to your internal drive, once syncing has finished you can set the files to be "online only" with Smart Sync. This will mean they won't take space on your hard drive.

Also, upgrading your Dropbox account wouldn't make any difference in how you can upload your data, as it's not limited based on your current plan.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne, 

thank you so much for being so fast on your tip. On the meantime I've been doing some researchs that led to the same possible fix. Later I will try this solution and let you know.

Thanks again.

Best.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm glad that I could help out @lopezdelaosa!

I hope this will be a feasible work around for you, so keep me posted on your progress. I'd be happy to help out with any other questions. 

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Daphne

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne! So glad I'm writing this!

Finally your workaround did the job! Once the Dropbox folder was moved to the disk with the large files in it, it was all about using Smart sync to select only the files I wanted to be online.

Thanks at all once again.

All the very best!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your update @lopezdelaosa!

I'm really happy to know that this did the trick for you.

I'll always be just a post away if you need anything else, so don't hesitate to just give me a nudge here.

Have a magical weekend!

Rainbow.gif

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?