cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox offline

How can I use Dropbox offline on my laptop?

Liss W.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I know how to work with files on my Samsung pad and I hav found the menys to sync files from Dropbox on line to my pad offline. But on my ordinary computer at home, I can't find the offline possibility in the meny to the left. There must be a possibility to work off line on my ordinary computer , must it not? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The Offline Files feature is only available on mobile clients. Since the regular Dropbox application syncs your files locally (to the Dropbox folder), there's no need for Offline Files (your files are already on your computer).

Folders removed using Selective Sync are only accessible through the Dropbox website, which requires Internet connectivity.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The Offline Files feature is only available on mobile clients. Since the regular Dropbox application syncs your files locally (to the Dropbox folder), there's no need for Offline Files (your files are already on your computer).

Folders removed using Selective Sync are only accessible through the Dropbox website, which requires Internet connectivity.

Liss W.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for answering. That's what i guessed, but if I take my home lap top from my home which means I will lose contact with my wifi router. Is my dropbox working offline and I can work with my folders ("out in the forest") because they are "in my computer"??  

Liss W.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Still I have not found any solution to my problem. I want to use Dropbox off line on my home lap top. I have disconnected my router and wifi. Then I have tried to start dropbox on my lap top (in off line), but I does not work. My home lap top wants the wifi connection via router.

So, anyone out there, who knows how to do?

By

Liss W

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

When you're not connected to the Internet, the Dropbox application will not work. You can still access the files that are in your Dropbox folder though because they are local to your computer. Any folders that you've removed locally using Selective Sync will not be accessible while you're offline.

Liss W.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Rich R. but it didn't help me. I can't see that I have used Selective Sync and when I disconnected my router, then tried to start Dropbox, I get information "start the internet". I get no chance to choose for instance, "work in offline?" question.

I have also changed the settings in my computer to disconnection to my wireless network. And even broken my routers speed connection. I have even logged out my automatically log-in when I was on-line to Dropbox.  Can't go further. Must be any change in settings. But what?

It could help med if I get information how to do, when I get to the situation " you need an internet connection. Check your settings......"  

Juan G.21
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am currently unable to upload or download anything at all. My guess is that the dropbox servers crashed or something and we will be waiting like schmucks for them to fix it.

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Juan, its working fine, and this thread is not about whether Dropbox is working or not.

Liss, if you are using the Dropbox app (installed from the MS Windows Store) then there is no option to work offline, it simply won't work off line.

If you installed Dropbox via the Dropbox website, then as Rich says, your files will be local and you do not need to touch the Dropbox application (it will sync any changes when you reconnect to the internet).

There are two separate and distinct applications for Windows - one works much like the mobile clients, and the other syncs files to and from a folder on your hard disk.

Liss W.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok. I Understand. I have installed Dropbox app from MS Win Store. Now I also have installed from Dropbox.com homepage. But... now i have a new Dropbox with 2 GB. That is not what I want. How do I get connection to my "old" dropbox buy using the new app???? Or can I sync the two boxes - my old with the new???

I feel confused.

Liss W.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

More problems. After I have installed the app from Dropbox homepage, I have got a new dropbox and I can't find my old dropbox with all its contents. What do I do to rescue my folders, Pls help???

<Edit: private email address removed by forum moderator>

Need more support?