cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i recover files from "old" dropbox folder? weird situation

How can i recover files from "old" dropbox folder? weird situation

New member | Level 2

Hello, i can't get into more personal details but the primary Dropbox folder got shift+deleted but i copy and pasted it before it gets shift+deleted, it's 12.5 GB and i don't have a membership so only some GB of those were uploaded. How can i "extract" the hidden 12.5GB files from the old Dropbox folder that is not in sync?

3 Replies 3

Re: How can i recover files from "old" dropbox folder? weird situation

Dropboxer

Hi @Veegee, thanks for messaging the Community!

If you copied and pasted the Dropbox folder, there should be the folder on your computer somewhere. 

Depending on your OS, it could be in the home folder or the user folder. Try searching on your computer for a file you know about, to see if it can find it.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

I was trying to replace the New Dropbox folder with the Old one so i can view the 12.5GB hidden files but i couldn't cause it was saying that i didn't have permission to. As a quick solution i copy-pasted it inside the New Dropbox folder and now i can view the files at least. But i want dropbox to unbind them from its directory, cause all kinds of shortcuts that were created are not working and many other apps must change directory to the new one, cause it's not c:confused face:users/user_name/desktop/file_name anymore, it's c:confused face:users/user_name/dropbox/MyPC/Desktop/file_name. Do i make sense?

Dropboxer

Okay, it sounds like the computer backup feature was enabled, could you check that you've disabled it first to see if you can move the files back to their default locations?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?