cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you sync to your Dropbox but not have Dropbox delete any files ever?

Highlighted

How can you sync to your Dropbox but not have Dropbox delete any files ever?

New member | Level 2

Hi guys,

I'm having a hard time strategizing the future system/process I'm envisioning using Dropbox as a storage place for all the files I want to have "archived" but don't necessarily need constant and immediate access to.  I think the general direction is to probably not use any sync features, as sync/backup typically deletes files you delete in the local folder.  Instead, I just want to "sync" in one direction only (to the Dropbox cloud).  So, for example, with my photos - I want to keep a continuous running archive of all photo/video media that would reside locally in 1 or 2 folders.  I want to periodically "sync" that (manually is totally fine) to Dropbox.  I want to leave a buffer of more recent photos in that local folder, but when it exceeds a certain size limit on my local hard drive, I want to delete the oldest photos and videos to free up local drive space.  I do NOT want it to delete any of the photos on the Dropbox archive.  I'm hoping I'd be able to "sync" the photos over to Dropbox in an easy way that just saves the new items and doesn't attempt to overwrite all the duplicates.  

Anyone have a good process for this??  Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: How can you sync to your Dropbox but not have Dropbox delete any files ever?

Dropboxer

Hi @Montiesz, thanks for posting on the Community!

As you’re aware, Dropbox is primarily a syncing service, which includes file deletion. There isn’t a way to prevent files from being deleted when using the Dropbox desktop application and to allow only uploads.

The only method would be to upload files to the Dropbox site directly, however, it might be possible to create an app using the Dropbox API to automate this for you.

I’ll leave this thread open for other users to comment and share their ideas!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: How can you sync to your Dropbox but not have Dropbox delete any files ever?

New member | Level 2

OK, thanks!  Yeah, that's kind of what I thought.  Is it possible to just sync certain folders only in the normal way but use the browser interface to do like I was describing for just my pictures and videos?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

It isn't possible to filter it by file type, however, you could use selective sync to prevent entire folders from downloading to your machine, keeping them on the site only.

This way, you could upload to the site, without them then syncing down to that machine. Bear in mind that selective sync settings are device specific, so you'd need to uncheck that folder on all machines you use.

I do give an example on how Dropbox can be used as an online backup using a similar method here, if you're interested in trying that out.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?