cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How create internal symlink?

How create internal symlink?

oscartyler
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox has a whole article about using symlinks, and I'd love to start using internal symlinks (like aliases or shortcuts) within my dropbox.

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/symlinks

However, nowhere on this page about using symlinks does it say HOW to create one! And I've rooted around unsuccessfully trying to figure it out.

Surely it can't be that hard?! HOW??

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Re: How create internal symlink?

Mark
Super User II

That page is old and outdated I'm afraid - Dropbox does not support symlinks anymore.... so basically they wont work on your machine.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

oscartyler
Explorer | Level 3

You’re kidding me. It’s impossible to create an alias or shortcut from one Dropbox folder to another? I’m not talking about symlinks to external folders, but INSIDE Dropbox. I know that external symlinks were deprecated a couple years ago and never officially supported to begin with. That’s not what I’m talking about. They gave us internal symlinks in 2019 then took them away again?? Without updating the page?

Mark
Super User II

I dont believe they do.... 

You can always try by making some yourself - note that these are done by the OS and not Dropbox. So you'll need to google how to do them specific to your OS

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

oscartyler
Explorer | Level 3

No, they are internal. So you should be able to to make them within the website interface. I’ll talk to Dropbox support.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

oscartyler Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?