cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did Dropbox mix up and switch my file names?

Highlighted

How did Dropbox mix up and switch my file names?

Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox mixed up pdf file names in a long list of pdfs, and I ended up sending stuff to the wrong people, even though the file names were correct and I'd already checked the contents with Adobe Reader.  Names switched to different files.  Is this a known problem?

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Switched file names

Dropboxer

Hi @Gill4, thanks for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community. 

I'm more than happy to help, I'll just need a bit more info. For example:

• Could you clarify what exactly happened when you mention that the file names were mixed up? Were they sorted differently?
  • How did you share the files? Through the desktop app, the mobile app, or the website?
  • Does your events page or the version history of the files show any activity regarding this? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, thanks for responding.  I received the original pdfs from the accountant, and after downloading them I put them into a Dropbox folder on my pc (which syncs all the time online).  I opened each pdf on Adobe Reader to check each one was correct.  I asked for two to be replaced, as the information needed updating.  These file names began with J in a list of 35 or so pdfs.  Once I had the full list in alphabetical order, I began dragging them one by one to email out to staff, as they were pay slips.  At some point the little green marks started moving on the pdfs in the folder, but I didn't think anything of it.  Then I realised that a couple of members of staff had received the wrong pdf - the pdfs had their names on, but the contents were now for another member of staff.  Everything was correct up to J, then wrong below that.  pdf K had content for staff member M, pdf L had content for staff member N, and so on.  The files had changed or adopted the wrong names somehow.  I re-downloaded the original files from the accountant, and as before, they were correct, but the very same files downloaded first time had changed on my computer in Dropbox.  I've been online and can't see any different file versions. Completely weird.  

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for your detailed reply, @Gill4

It does sound strange, but I'm afraid I can't pin-point what exactly happened since the file version history also doesn't offer much insight.

I can assure you at the very least though that Dropbox doesn't edit your files without some third party app or user interaction.

Nonetheless, if this happen again, don't hesitate to give me a shout and I'll be more than happy to send you a ticket to look into this a bit more in-depth. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, just give me a shout. Cheers!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

The very same thing has happened to me. I copied a directory with at least 4 levels of subdirectories and the wrong files appear in the bottom most directory. Very disconcerting as I have no idea if I'm safe to use this as a backup or not. I'm also paying for it. In my case files from other subdirectories get put into other subdirectories. The files are OK and contain what the name says they should contain, they are just in the wrong place.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @jkorten; thanks for joining our Community!

Can you please clarify where exactly are you seeing this and send us a screenshot so we can also have a look?

While we're at it, where from and to did you copy those files?

Let us know when you get the chance! 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?