cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the folder I upload files to on my Android device?

How do I change the folder I upload files to on my Android device?

MagpieCat
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a number of subfolders in my Dropbox. When I upload files from my Android phone, they always go to a particular folder. I'd like to change which folder they go to.

Please note: I'm not asking about where the camera uploads to. I'm talking about regular files, like documents and spreadsheets.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @MagpieCat,

So you should be able to navigate your Dropbox folder structure when choosing to upload files into your account. When you are choosing a location to upload within Dropbox, you should see the current folder path outlined towards the top of the screen. For example:

Dropbox > Files > Docs upload

Are you able to tap the folder path to navigate to the level above? If not, can you provide a screenshot (excluding any personal info) of the screen you see when uploading files. 

An easy alternative would be to open the Dropbox app, choose the correct folder and then choose to upload a new file into that location directly.

Let me know what happens - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @MagpieCat,

So you should be able to navigate your Dropbox folder structure when choosing to upload files into your account. When you are choosing a location to upload within Dropbox, you should see the current folder path outlined towards the top of the screen. For example:

Dropbox > Files > Docs upload

Are you able to tap the folder path to navigate to the level above? If not, can you provide a screenshot (excluding any personal info) of the screen you see when uploading files. 

An easy alternative would be to open the Dropbox app, choose the correct folder and then choose to upload a new file into that location directly.

Let me know what happens - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MagpieCat
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, Daphne! Although the screen that shows when I'm uploading files from outside Dropbox doesn't show the file path, it never occurred to me to upload them from inside Dropbox.

Thanks!]

Andrea

Dave-Eaux
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't mean to be rude, or anything thus, but uploading from the Dropbox app is an obvious.

The issue here is when you're trying to upload files minus the hassle of having to navigate to those particular files from within the Dropbox app. As we know, file explorers differ from one app to another. Each app scrambles files in its own way; so if I have a folder with 500 images in it, attempting to navigate to the images I'm looking to upload because somewhat of a Mission Impossible when the file explorer menu of the app I'm using rearranges files in its own way.

So the solution to change the default puload folder would make more sense here.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Dave-Eaux, thanks for joining the discussion here!

When you're choosing to add files from your device to Dropbox, you should have the option to choose the folder you want to upload to.

If there is a suggested (or previously selected) folder already opened, you should be able to swipe right to take you back up a folder level so that you can choose another location.

If you're still having issues with this, then please let me know where you're trying to upload files from and what options you see when trying to choose a save location.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Dave-Eaux
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, Daphne. This did the trick.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that @Dave-Eaux!

I'm just a post away if you need anything else, feel free to just give me a nudge here. :grin:

Hope you have a great start to your week! 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

faerber
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear fellows,

I try to save a file on my adroid divice in my Dropbox. I open the picture in "Gallery" then I go to "share" and I select "Add to Dropbox". At this stage I am already within the Dropbox app but it shows me the same folder that I used last time. I cannot select a folder on a higher level. How can I select a folder that is above the level of the present one?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @faerber, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Just to note, I've merged your post here as the OP described a similar issue.

When you have the chance, please check out my previous suggestions here and let me know if they do the trick.

If you still have any issues with this then please do let me know, and if possible, send along a screenshot of the screen that you see (excluding any personal info).

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Zmetman62
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I was having the same problem for a long time, I'm a long time android user, and it never occurred to me to swipe right. 😂. It's a duh moment.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MKtravel NYC New member | Level 2
    thistle New member | Level 2
    Zmetman62 New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    faerber New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?