cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete Dropbox files without deleting them on my hard drive?

How do I delete Dropbox files without deleting them on my hard drive?

Cadams
Explorer | Level 3

I wanted to know *how* to delete/remove files/folders from Dropbox (files and folders that I did not intend to sync when I installed) without those files/folders being deleted on my hard drive - can someone help with some expertise here?

6 Replies 6

Re: How do I delete Dropbox files without deleting them on my hard drive?

Rich
Super User II

@Cadams wrote:

(files and folders that I did not intend to sync when I installed)

Sounds like you have the computer backup feature enabled.

Cadams
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich,  Thank you for your response.  I found the following in the link you provided:

To turn off computer backup:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system try (Windows) or menu bar (Mac). 
  2. Click your profile picture or initials.
  3. Click Preferences.
  4. Click the Backups tab.
  5. Click Manage backup
  6. Uncheck the folders you’d like to stop backing up to Dropbox or uncheck My Mac_My PC to turn off backup for all folders at once. 
  7. Click Save.
  8. Choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac or Leave content in Dropbox
  • If you choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac, the files and folders you stopped backing up can be found in their original folders on your computer. 

However, I was not able to follow the suggested step past Step 3.  I have the app downloaded on my desktop and I was not able to go that route either.   I never find any Backup tab etc... ?

I know under "personal Account" and "General"  in the Desktop My Dropbox app it is very clearly pointed out that if you DELETE my Dropbox than your data wil lbe gone forever.

But what IF I took another route and instead under Security tab What if I were to simply TRASH the Devices that Dropbox are linked to?   In theory then they wouldnt RESYNC to those devices until I asked it to - then at that point I can hopefully pay a little more attention and be selective about what I allow Dropbox to Sync up with.

I am only hesitant as I dont want to create some mess where my files no longer become accessible/readily avail on my hard drive -Im paranoid about this for obv reasons but alos because I have searched all over and have not found a solution nor have  I seen that other have been able to find a solution as to how to resolve the issue of hard drive files getting simultaneously deleted whe nthe yare removed/deleted from dropbox account.  OF course, Dropboz conveniently has "Upgrade account links placed ALL thruout the various pages in different locations - all for a monthly bill of course"

In short, I want to use the free version for a while to see how it goes with work projects - but  i DONT want everything from my C drive on there - I just want the essentials - in the future if I gain enough confidence in the program then maybe  I can upgrade and bring a lot more over - but this is not likely unless I can resolve this issue...

Do you think a reverse engineer approach of TRASHING/removing the Devices that Dropbox are linked to on Dropbox.com might do the job - without deleting everything off my hadr drive? 

Thank you for any help ... really appreciate any guidance on how to remove everything that I accidentally transferred over - any solutions short of having to create a whole new account would be greatly appreciated

Cadams
Explorer | Level 3

Rich, any updates here - I really need t oresolve this but am currently at a standstill.  Did you get a chance to look into my response to your reply.  I'm hoping you can help give me some addiitional feedback or point me in the right direction

Thank you, 

Rich
Super User II

@Cadams wrote:

However, I was not able to follow the suggested step past Step 3.  I have the app downloaded on my desktop and I was not able to go that route either.   I never find any Backup tab etc... ?

Are you sure you're in Preferences of the Dropbox app, and your not trying this on the website? You need to be within the Dropbox app. Click the Dropbox icon (in your system try or menu bar) just once, and you'll get the Dropbox menu. From there follow the steps you posted.

e779efe6f1846633f8a205196f5dd31e.png

You can see the Backup tab in the above screenshot, though I have the feature disabled on this system.

Do you think a reverse engineer approach of TRASHING/removing the Devices that Dropbox are linked to on Dropbox.com might do the job - without deleting everything off my hadr drive?

No, I wouldn't do that. You'll likely cuase a bigger issue. You need to turn off the backup option before you unlink the device from your account.

Jimi638
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. After clicking Backup there is no "Manage backup." I can go to "Setup." That allows me to uncheck the boxes for backup, but there is no SAVE button.  I can click on NOT NOW.  That doesn't do any good.

Megan
Dropboxer
Happy Monday @Jimi638

Did you make sure to follow the steps to disable the Computer Backup feature on the same device you enabled it on? 

Keep me posted.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropboxer
    Jimi638 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Cadams Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?