cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete files from Dropbox without deleting them from my computer and other devices?

How do I delete files from Dropbox without deleting them from my computer and other devices?

LynnMGallagher
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I do not use Dropbox for backup storage; I use a different service for that.  But friends and fellow students sometimes want to share files in Dropbox, so I set up a free account.  Somehow, I don't know how, Dropbox uploaded some of my photos to the cloud and filled up my basic Dropbox space.  I would like to take my photos out of Dropbox WITHOUT DELETING THEM FROM MY COMPUTER or other devices.  This would give me the Dropbox space that I need for sharing.  But when I try to do that, Dropbox says that it will delete my photos from all my devices!  How can I empty my Dropbox without deleting my photos from my devices?

46 Replies 46

Anna456
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have a related but slightly different question:  I like to carry around only a few ESSENTIAL files on Dropbox since I have other backup systems AND I have a sneaky feeling that if I leave sensitive financial files on Dropbox they could be easier to hack than if I keep them 'at home' on my laptop and other harddisc devices. So - when I copy for example, five new files to Dropbox, after 2 wks I wish to delete them from DROPBOX ONLY and put up new versions or other files in their place.

But like your other correspondents above, I'm warned by Dropbox that the original files I have on my laptop ('other devices') will be deleted. Yet I wish to keep these original or 'old' file versions on my laptop for easy referece from time to time. I don't want to put them in a difficult-to-retrieve other place. 

So - the question remains: HOW TO DELETE specific files from Dropbox while retaining them on my laptop?

Is the only solution to synch and then de-synch and then synch again ???? (I hope not. And is this even do-able? and wise?)

I'd be very grateful for your advice.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @Anna456,

If you’re copying the files into your Dropbox folder so you have 2 copies of the file on your hard drive, one within the Dropbox folder and another elsewhere in the computer, then you can simply delete the copy from the Dropbox folder. The other copy of the file will remain on your computer, only the copy within the Dropbox folder will be removed.

If you want to be absolutely certain that you retain a copy while also deleting the file from Dropbox, I would suggest to drag and drop (move) the file from the Dropbox folder to another location. This will delete the file from your Dropbox account and the file will remain where you moved it to.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation for you - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TerryDactyl2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I approached this a slightly different way: I renamed the file I wanted to delete on Dropbox and deleted that renamed file.  Renaming the file seemed to break any link between Dropbox and the file on my computer; so, when I deleted the renamed file, the original file remained on my computer. 

AJ1111
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I drag a file from the Dropbox folder to my trash bin, why does it only give me two choices: "Cancel" or "Delete from all devices"?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @AJ1111!

Any changes made to the Dropbox folder on your computer will sync to your account online.

So when you move a file outside of the Dropbox folder, you're removing this file from your Dropbox account, which is why you see those options. 

If you want to remove the file from your Dropbox folder, then you can choose "Delete from all devices" to remove it from your Dropbox account.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Colorworks
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

I read all of your answers, and must say how impressed I am with your patience. 

And as a newbie to Dropbox, I had the same concerns as everyone else. I certainly didn't want to lose any of my files. But I think I finally figured it out.

I only use my computer and Dropbox. So when I MOVE a file from Dropbox to my computer it will be on my computer. But if I moved it to (not copied) the file to Dropbox, and i delete it from Dropbox, of course there won't be a copy left on my computer. But if I had copied it to Dropbox then the original would still exist on my computer.

I think when the Dropbox message says do you want to remove it from Dropbox and all of your devices it is in reality saying - if you move this file from Dropbox, it will not be available to any of your OTHER devices. And it is also a warning to tell us that if we are removing a file from Dropobox and we have not kept a copy on our computer or other device, it will in fact be moved from ALL of our devices, including our computer.

I hope I am right, please feel free to correct any errors I made (so no one will lose files if I'm wrong). I am hoping this helps someone else.

Thank you Daphne for all of your explanations. I really thought it would take a lot longer to find an answer.  Have a good day.

Colorworks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Colorworks, thank you so much for your kind comments!

All that you mentioned there is indeed correct. I'm sure that this will be helpful for others looking for the same answers so thank for taking the time to share your post with us here. :grin:

If there's anything else that I can help with, don't hesitate to give me a nudge anytime.

I hope you have a great week ahead!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

tommarinotax
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I read this whole thread and thought i understood it.  I saw in File  Explorer that Dropbox had created a folder on my hard drive that duplicated my downloads and documents folders.  So i figured i could delete the folders in Dropbox and i did so.  But i guess since i had uninstalled dropbox from my hard drive it didn't delete the files on my PC.  Then when i deleted the Dropbox folder on my hard drive it also deleted the original files on the hard drive.

I used dropbox several years ago and it didn't take control of my PC like it does now.  I just want to store and share a few files.  i don't want dropbox to automatically backup my PC files and i don't want it making folders on my hard drive.  I restored the deleted files in dropbox but now if i copy them back to my computer i'll be in the same situation with a full dropbox and dropbox meddling in my PC.  Very unsatisfactory.

How can i get back to where i was before i signed up for dropbox and before it backed up my files?

Anna456
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have never had a reply from the Community on this. Tommarinotax, you are in the same position as myself, it seems. We want control over Dropbox and we do not want Dropbox to control ANY of our devices. We are hoping to get a reply from the Community, from someone who understands this dilemma. It is possible I have totally misunderstood the functions of Dropbox. If so, what I am looking for is:  (a) Some way of moving a very limited number of files onto a Cyberspace area which I can access from my ipad or iphone when I am out of the office without my laptop; (b) I need to be able to delete these files I've temporarily put onto Dropbox when I want to eg. a week later when I have other priorities for the iPad and iPhone. 

tommarinotax
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes, it's possible i have misunderstood as well, what is the function of dropbox.  It weems very different from a few years ago when i could store files in dropbox and there was no connection to or control over my PC.  Google drive seems to fill the bill though i'm not totally satisfied with the user interface.  Google drive also provides 15GB in the free account.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    sms250 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    zergaw asefa New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?