cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete my PC Desktop in Dropbox?

How do I delete my PC Desktop in Dropbox?

Lucylu91
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How do I delete my PC Desktop in Dropbox? I am not sure how I added it and now I can't undo it? Does anyone know how to unsync? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Lucylu91,

Seems you have activated "Dropbox Backup" feature unintentionally. That's the issue! To turn the feature off, take a look on "Turn off computer backup" section in referred topic (follow the link). On step 6 choose "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac", not "Leave content in Dropbox".

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Lucylu91,

Seems you have activated "Dropbox Backup" feature unintentionally. That's the issue! To turn the feature off, take a look on "Turn off computer backup" section in referred topic (follow the link). On step 6 choose "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac", not "Leave content in Dropbox".

Hope this helps.

Lucylu91
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It sure did help! Thank you!!! 

Nodrogian
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks everyone for your help. I ended up switching off Dropbox and nearly lost loads of files. I logged back in and found them again then upgraded on a free trial. I am now backing up my laptop and then I will disconnect Dropbox. This issue has made me really angry and cost me hours of my time which I could have done without. It is obvious that all they want is to get customers to upgrade and pay them money. They will not have any of mine.

vadimidasilva
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Same situation here. The only problem is that once I restored deleted files on my PC and unlinked my PC from Dropbox, many of the files still got lost and some got damaged beyond repair, esp video files.

Even worse, after I unlinked Dropbox from my PC, I cannot property download files into my Download folder on my PC. I'm getting message I haven't got administrator rights to write files.

Is there a way to fix it? Cheers

vadimidasilva
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I went thru all of this mate...
All could be avoided if from started I did not tick the box "backup your pc into Dropbox"
You should definitely keep this box ticked off.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@vadimidasilva wrote:
You should definitely keep this box ticked off.

I agree... 😉 And not only... The same could be said for all "features" released in beta stage within stable release (or maybe with bugs into their design).

RDO61
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I do not want to store my desktop files in dropbox. How do i remove them without losing them?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@RDO61 wrote:

I do not want to store my desktop files in dropbox. How do i remove them without losing them?

Disable the backup feature and select the option to Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    RDO61 New member | Level 2
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    vadimidasilva Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?