cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I disable smart sync for all files?

How do I disable smart sync for all files?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I noticed that there is a cloud next to most of my files when viewed in the finder.  I'm using macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6 and Dropbox 104.4.175.
  I wish to not use SmartSync.  Currently I have all files checked in Selective Sync as well because I want the entire contents of my Dropbox account to be available offline.  

I have seen a thread that suggested I disable system extensions.  I would like to ask:

1. What effect does disabling system extensions have?

2. Can I disable SmartSync without disabling a whole suite of features?

3. I also want to know when I gave permission, or how, for files to be moved to online only.  I don't remember doing that.

Thanks very much

- Stephen Taddeo

1 Reply 1

Re: How do I disable smart sync for all files?

Dropboxer

Hi there @staddeo, thanks for checking in with us.

Along with Smart Sync, system extensions also include a function that enable "callbacks", which allow you to receive warnings about file permissions. 

If you opt out of system extensions, some features will not run like Smart Sync, you won't be able to receive warnings as mentioned above and, if you're in a Business team, anyone who has installed the extension on their computer will be signed out of their Dropbox account. 

You can find this information in this article

Although I can't pin-point when you might have enabled Smart Sync, the setting for new content might have been Smart Synced to be online-only.  

If you don't want to opt out of the system extensions, you can simply turn all folders and files local and make sure that new content is set to download as local on your computer. 

I hope this helps to some extent, but let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?