cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I exclude new folders from being added to Selective Sync by default?

Highlighted

How do I exclude new folders from being added to Selective Sync by default?

Helpful | Level 5

I use Selective Sync on one or more machines that I want to be syncing ONLY designated folders. However, when I add a new folder to my Dropbox from another computer, it is automatically added to the Selective Sync list on the other computer. How can I prevent that? Is there a hidden option somewhere?

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: How do I exclude new folders from being added to Selective Sync by default?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

no, make a formal complaint to support@dropbox.com if you like, tell them they dont have a good grasp of English, and "sync only" does not mean "sync only and anything else that arrives"

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

If anyone is having the same problem please take the time and submit a bug report. Dave nails it right on the head, with appreciated sarcasm. Ninja adding new folders when selective sync is being utilized is just plain dumb.  

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

All you have to do is to desync the main folder, and then subfolders won't sync until you check them.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

The interface does not permit desyncing or deselecting the main folder ("Dropbox"); checkboxes are only available for subfolders of the Dropbox that currently exist.  New subfolders which are created later are automatically added as "synced" even on machines with very little selected for sync.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Sorry, I meant desync the main "Team" folder. I know that may be apples to oranges if you're on a personal or pro plan and there may not be a team folder. I would think if you create a folder under Dropbox, desync that, and then add subfolders within, none of the added folders would auto sync.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?