cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I leave a shared Dropbox folder?

How do I leave a shared Dropbox folder?

Padidto5
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My friend invited me to share a 3gb folder she had. I accepted. Now I want to leave the folder and cant. I followed the advice from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZoTpNkvPCI

The problem is that no folders appear under 'Sharing' in my Dropbox so I cant remove myself. I also looked for other ways to leave the folder but see no option to remove myself.

Any ideas on how?
Thanks

Learn how to leave a shared folder in "Dropbox". Don't forget to check out our site http://howtech.tv/ for more free how-to videos! http://youtube.com/ithowtovids - our feed http://www.facebook.com/howtechtv - join us on facebook https://plus.google.com/103440382717658277879 - our group in Google+
76 Replies 76

bitstrange
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi there, I'm having the same problem, and the solutions suggested here so far in this thread don't seem to be available for me. Basically, other people have shared folders with me, which I don't really need, and these folders are taking up all my Dropbox space, and I'm constantly getting e-mails asking me to upgrade. I would just like to be able to remove myself from these shared folders, but obviously I don't want to delete the files for the folder owner or anyone else who the folder might be shared with. I don't seem to have any option anywhere to allow me to leave a folder.

This is what I see when I click on the dots next to the folder name:

Dropbox2.JPG

This is what I see when I click on the "Share" button next to the folder:

Dropbox 1.JPG

The only option available to me seems to be "Delete", but my understanding is that this would delete the folder for everybody, which I don't want. 

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bitstrange, it looks like you're already in a shared folder, since each folder has 5 members, which is why you'll not seeing the option.

You'll need to go to the folder above on the website, and click the Share button next to the actual folder with the shared icon, to remove the folder from your account.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bitstrange
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jay, thanks for your response. I think I'm already in the top most folder that I can be, or at least I'm not seeing how I can go any higher. This is what I'm seeing. Where else should I be clicking? Thanks!

dropbox3.JPG

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The folders with the two-person icons are shared folders. You have two options here, either you can delete the folder, which will remove you from it temporarily, or you can permanently remove your access to the folder. Neither option affects the files for other users in the shared folder.

The steps to do the above can be found in this article. If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Doctordns
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I too can not remove a folder shared TO me (and not by me).  I have a large folder (taking up .6GB) that I can not remove from my drop box. I try to remove it and the site tells me I can't.  I no longer work with the sharer of this folder and have no further use for the folder/.

If I try to delete it from my local file I get a dialog from windows that I need permission from my self to delete it, but I give eveyone full access and still no deletion.

If I go to the online site, I still can not delete it from my share

Hints??

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Doctordns; sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you send us a screenshot of the exact error you get so that we can have a visual too?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Doctordns
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

2021-01-22_19-57-23.png

A small point - the directions say click on "FIles" - the UI says "All Files".

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Doctordns, what happens if you try to delete the folder from the Dropbox site directly? What is the exact error message you get?

A screenshot showing this would help greatly!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Doug McIff
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having the same problem, Contractor sent me this huge file instead of a page. And i have not way to delete for remove myself. There is no "remove myself" option as shown.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Doug McIff wrote:

Contractor sent me this huge file instead of a page. And i have not way to delete for remove myself. There is no "remove myself" option as shown.

You can remove a shared file or folder from your account from your Sharing page. Click the three dots next to a file or folder and you'll see an option to remove it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Amanda Lamb Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?