cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I leave dropbox beta testing?

lucien950
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Recently, I checked the box to join the dropbox beta testing on my desktop application, but I have changed my mind and want to reverse back. I tried to delete the folder that contains all my computer files in my dropbox, but it says that "the operation could not be performed". How can I delete the folder that backs up my computer files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@lucien950 wrote:

Go into your account settings on the Dropbox website and turn Early releases off. After that, install one of the stable builds of the Dropbox application. If you have the beta installed, you will always get the beta updates.

I tried to delete the folder that contains all my computer files in my dropbox, but it says that "the operation could not be performed". How can I delete the folder that backs up my computer files?

You don't need to delete the files in your local Dropbox folder, or the folder itself, to leave the beta. Just reinstall a stable version.

If you really want to delete the Dropbox folder and everything it contains (i.e. all your files), uninstall the Dropbox application from your computer and reboot. You should be able to delete the files then. If not, then check the file permissions or other applications that may have a lock on the files.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@lucien950 wrote:

Go into your account settings on the Dropbox website and turn Early releases off. After that, install one of the stable builds of the Dropbox application. If you have the beta installed, you will always get the beta updates.

I tried to delete the folder that contains all my computer files in my dropbox, but it says that "the operation could not be performed". How can I delete the folder that backs up my computer files?

You don't need to delete the files in your local Dropbox folder, or the folder itself, to leave the beta. Just reinstall a stable version.

If you really want to delete the Dropbox folder and everything it contains (i.e. all your files), uninstall the Dropbox application from your computer and reboot. You should be able to delete the files then. If not, then check the file permissions or other applications that may have a lock on the files.

paris p.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have made the mistake to jump onboard the beta and I only have problems since then. my dropbox is trying to sync for days now and I can work with half my code missing from projects.

I have removed dropbox app and removed the dropbox folder and downloaded the latest stable version. 

somehow automatically I now back on the beta version and problems keep persisting. 

how do I drop out from the beta and get back to the latest stable version? I am on Mac OS Monterey

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @paris p., how are you doing?

I've merged your post into this thread because it echoes what you're trying to accomplish.

Can you follow the steps provided here and let me know how it turns out for you? 

Thank you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

paris p.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

yeah I figured it out after endless hours searching for the stable, uninstalling installing and so forth.

If dropbox cared that BETA badge could have been a button to drop out the beta or even provide feedback for the beta.

still my problems are not solved. constant syncing issues.

time to day goodbye to dropbox.

they failed miserabley

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @paris p. !

Have you tried to fix your files' permissions as shown here

Also, what's your app's syncing status? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Txswim75
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello I am having the same issue. I have synching issues now and I can't turn this beta off. I tried manually deleting files and it won't allow me to. Can someone post a video of how to do this....or share screenshots with steps. Thx

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Txswim75 - sorry to hear about this.

Could you please share some additional information about the syncing issues you're having? Are you getting any specific errors when trying to delete your files? 

Also, can you send us a screenshot of the point you get stuck upon when trying to turn off the early releases from your account's settings?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Thom A.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Agreed...Like how do you FIND a "stable" version? I have no idea how to do that. 

But as others have said, I went to Beta on my iMac and now I can't download anything from my iPhone to my iMac. Works just find on my MacBook, as I did not  opt for Beta there. 

Also it messed up my iMovie and now I can't open the files (projects) for iMovie. Again, all works fine on my MacBook, because I did not change anything there. 

HELP HELP HELP....

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Thom A., to ensure that you're on the stable version, make sure you've followed the steps from @Rich

Afterwards, you can install the current stable version from this page.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Thom A. Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?