cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make a folder Selective Sync, so that it will not be synced?

How do I make a folder Selective Sync, so that it will not be synced?

sandra-9663
Explorer | Level 4

I created a new folder and did a copy/paste into that folder of some files that I want to keep safe at Dropbox. I don't want those files to be synced, so they will stay safe. How do I tell Dropbox to make that folder un-sync-able? Should I move that folder to a different location at Dropbox, and how would I find a different location? Thank you for any help you can offer!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I make a folder Selective Sync, so that it will not be synced?

Mark
Super User II

Selective Sync doesnt work that way I'm afraid - Selective Sync is designed to remove things off the computer but leave them on Dropbox. 

However, there is a work around. 

1. Take that folder out of Dropbox
  2. Wait for it to sync and delete everything online
  3. Create a new empty folder on your computer with the identical name of the folder you want to not sync
  4. Selective Sync this folder with the Dropbox preferences: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/selective-sync-overview
  5. Let Dropbox sync the change back to everything being 'done' (i.e. no syncing icons)
  6. Recreate the folder inside Dropbox with an identical name. Dropbox will identify it as not supposed to sync and put a - icon over the folder. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

Selective Sync doesnt work that way I'm afraid - Selective Sync is designed to remove things off the computer but leave them on Dropbox. 

However, there is a work around. 

1. Take that folder out of Dropbox
  2. Wait for it to sync and delete everything online
  3. Create a new empty folder on your computer with the identical name of the folder you want to not sync
  4. Selective Sync this folder with the Dropbox preferences: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/selective-sync-overview
  5. Let Dropbox sync the change back to everything being 'done' (i.e. no syncing icons)
  6. Recreate the folder inside Dropbox with an identical name. Dropbox will identify it as not supposed to sync and put a - icon over the folder. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

sandra-9663
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you so much!!

sandra-9663
Explorer | Level 4

update - <banging the palm of my hand on my forehead> - the "rewind" function (I have Plus) will do what I wanted.  My old laptop is having problems, and I will be getting a new laptop in a few months (a long wait due to lack of computer chips).  I was worried that my files may become corrupted, because this old laptop is being finicky.  Silly me, I thought I would need to manually make a backup of my synced files.  I'm old, and all this new technology is really cool.  🙂 . (My kids set me up with Dropbox. They're good kids!) 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sandra-9663 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?