Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How do I pause upload (not syncing) from my folder at DropBox.com?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

How do I pause an upload from DropBox.com? The upload is scheduled to take 5 hours, and I need to shut down my computer before that. How do I pause the upload so I can resume it later? I am not syncing to my hard drive. These are files I want only in Dropbox.

22 Replies 22
Highlighted

Re: How do I pause upload (not syncing) from my folder at DropBox.com?

Super User II
Super User II

Using the website? You can't.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I would also like to the drag & drop upload to have a feature to pause and resume like the desktop app. I don't have enough space to sync files on my computer, so not having this feature on the website itself is big oversight. Please fix this!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I would also like to be able to pause when I am uploading directly to dropbox, rather than syncing through my hard drive.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I uploaded files and it's a 2 hour process and I need to upload files to a shared folder, so I'd like to pause one upload and allow another, and this is not possible...I think this is a problem.  I also find it very difficult to copy files from one dropbox folder to a shared folder.  I recently upgraded to the 1 TB service, but I am starting to find that this might not work for me.  It seems as though, although the files are no longer on my own computer, the space they used is still not available.

Please fix this dropbox!

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

It seems as though, although the files are no longer on my own computer

If you have the Dropbox client installed on your computer, then the files ARE on your computer. Dropbox is not a cloud-based folder or drive. It's a sync service. Anything you store in the local Dropbox folder is synced to your account online. The files exist both online and on your local computer.

If you want to removed folders locally so they don't take up any space, use Selective Sync.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for this info.  Except it doesn't show up on my computer, just in the dropbox of my computer.

I also thought that if I closed the lid on the computer that the synching would just pick back up when I returned, but it seems I am back to 20 hours left (instead of less than an hour). Is this really the way it works.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

just in the dropbox of my computer.

Which is on your computer

It is a folder, a real life one like all others. 

Is this really the way it works.

No. Opening it will continue uploading from where it left off minus the last 4MB block. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Not being able to pause or cancel a file upload is surely a serious problem. Certainly very inconvenient. With all the wonderful new features being trumpeted to us - surely some attention should be given to something this basic.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Also not being able to upload a folder and its contents it a pretty basic omission. At the moment, I have to create a new folder with a matching name, go to this folder, select all files to be uploaded then upload them.

I should just be able to upload a folder and all its contents with a single operation.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?