cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I recover a Paper Doc that seems corrupt?

How do I recover a Paper Doc that seems corrupt?

manashidutta
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I need help recovering a Paper doc that seems corrupt. Each time I open the document, it keeps loading and shows the initial content. The entire document never loads fully and after a minute or so, my browser prompts me to either exit the page or keep waiting. The document never loads up completely so a majority of my data on the document is no more visible. I can't seem to even copy anything from the doc to paste into a new doc. I'm also unable to access any Version History for this file. 

This issue developed right after I tried inserting a Google Spreadsheet into the document. 

I have also created a screen recording of the issue here: https://vimeo.com/534356949

Here's the link to the document that I'm referring to.

Would really appreciate some help. 

This is "Dropbox Paper Issue" by Manashi Dutta on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
10 Replies 10

Re: How do I recover a Paper Doc that seems corrupt?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @manashidutta, thanks for checking in with us. 

Are you having this issue from another browser or an incognito window?

Do you find that this happens to that specific Paper doc or others as well?

Have a look and let me know of any updates, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

manashidutta
New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for looking into this. 

I have tried opening the document on multiple browsers and incognito too. The same issue persists in all cases. 

All other documents are working perfectly fine for me. Only this document keeps crashing for me.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Could you temporarily close/disable any third party browser extensions or plugins that you may have on your browsers?

Also, just for troubleshooting purposes, if you're able to open the Paper doc for even a few seconds, could you try copying the contents and pasting them on a new Paper doc?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

manashidutta
New member | Level 2

Hey Lusil,

I disabled all extensions/plugins on my browsers and also cleared my cache. Still doesn't work for me. In the screen recording above, you'll notice that I am unable to copy any content from the document. Also, a majority of the document doesn't load for me so, I can't see most of my content. 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Did you originally create this Paper doc or was it shared with you by any chance?

Also, have you made sure that you're running the latest version of your browsers?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

manashidutta
New member | Level 2

My browsers are up-to-date. Attached a screenshot here of my Google Chrome browser.

I am the creator of this Paper doc. It wasn't shared by anybody else. I added it to a shared folder like I've done with countless other Paper docs that are working perfectly fine.

The document started malfunctioning after a Google sheet was pasted into it. I was copy pasting the content within the Google sheet to this document when it froze.  

Before that, everything was absolutely fine.

manashidutta_0-1617959496715.png

Lusil
Dropboxer
I see, thanks for letting me know, @manashidutta

At this point, the best course of action would be to continue via email due to sensitive info that might be required to further investigate. 

Would it be alright if I reached out to you?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

manashidutta
New member | Level 2
Absolutely. Feel free to reach out to me at [personal information removed as per Community Guidelines]

Lusil
Dropboxer
I can only send you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile, which I just did!

Have a look at your inbox and we will go from there. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?