cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How do I restore files??

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Help! I deleted some files and I’m not sure how to get them back, what do I do?

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: How do I restore files??

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

You can recover deleted files yourself using the Dropbox website.

If you’ve deleted just one or two files, you can navgiate to where the files used to be in your account, and click the little trash can icon in the upper right of the screen. This button will show you any deleted files in that location. You can then highlight the files you need and restore them!

If you’re looking to recover quite a few files, you can do that using your Dropbox events page. Go to your events page and look for the event in which the files were deleted:
https://www.dropbox.com/events
Click on the number of files that got deleted and this will show the files in a list, the option to restore will be at the top. If the option doesn’t show up then go to https://www.dropbox.com/support to contact the support team who can help you further.
Please keep in mind, if you are not a Dropbox for Business customer or do not have a pro account with extended version history, you can only recover the files within a 30 day period from when they were deleted.

Please post here if you have any other questions on restoring files!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

My files are being deleted as fast as I can restore them, and now I don't have a way of restoring them. In "Events," I clicked on the "50,000 deleted items," and did not get a "restore" button in the top left of the page. Any help would be appreciated. This is terribly frustrating, as there are important files among the deleted, and the 30-daysto-the point of no return clock is now ticking.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

There is no option to restore for me.

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Lynn!

You can check who deleted your files by following the instructions:
1. Sign in to the Dropbox website
2. Identify one of the files that has been deletedd
3. Right-click on the file in the file browser and select Previous versions in the pop-up menu

You'll see who deleted your file, and from which computer.

If you don't have the "restore" button, it means that some files were added at the same time as they were deleted.
In that case, you would need to contact support to restore your files massively:
https://www.dropbox.com/support

If you just have a couple of files that were deleted, you can easily restore them one by one:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/296

Hope it helps

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi,

Is possible recover files that I have in my dropbox folder 4 months ago?

Thanks for your reply.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I've just accessed Dropbox on my mobile phone (Android system) for the first time to upload a video. After a while, when I signed in my account again, at this time on my Mac OS, all my folders and files had disappeared! Why??? What am I supposed to do?

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I need to eliminate dropbox from my MacBook Air since dropbox is taking most of my solid state hard drive.

If I eliminate from the root directory, it will be eliminated in the Dropbox in the cloud.

This is not what I want. 

I am willing to download the files I may need, but not to use my hard disk space to duplicate what is is in the cloud.

Could some one explain to me the process to liberate hard disk space by removing the files from the MacBook Air, mantaining them in the cloud, and establish some settings so that the files will not duplicate in the hard disk of my MacBook Air.

Thanks

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Mario!

You might want to use the 'Selective Sync' feature. More infos about it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/175

@Antonio: You won't be able to restore a file deleted 4 months ago, except if you are a Dropbox Business customer, or if you have subscribed to Dropbox Pro with the Extended Version History.

Keep in mind that these plans are not retroactive!

@Mafe: Your missing files are unrelated with the fact that you linked your Android phone. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

My computer was wiped out by a very nasty virus, and it also infiltrated my DropBox folders so my IT guy deleted all of them, which has created a great hardship.  Is there any way I can go back to few dsys prior to the virus attack and reload the files?  Lot of information in there that we could use. I have to back as far as the 1st of March to be safe.  Any assistance is most appreciated. 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?