cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I select specific folders that automatically sync.?

How do I select specific folders that automatically sync.?

fdputhuff
New member | Level 2

I am using DB Basic

I want to automatically sync a folder that is not Desktop, Documents, or Downloads.

1. Is this an option using Basic?
  2. If so, how?

I just started Dropbox so I am not familiar with all the different kinds of sync I see here.

Thanx in Advance

David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I select specific folders that automatically sync.?

Mark
Super User II

No, they wont auto sync to Dropbox. 

Dropbox have also said they are not interested in setting this up because it causes so many issues. For example, Dropbox is designed as a syncing tool between devices. What happens on a device where that directory doesnt exist, or, its in a different place?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

Its not possible in any version of Dropbox I'm afraid. 

Dropbox sync's whats inside of its own folder and thats it.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

fdputhuff
New member | Level 2

OK...So just to be clear...

If I have a file, say, in my documents folder, and I revise that file, there is no way to set up Dropbox to automatically backup that file?

Or, if I put a new file in that same folder, Dropbox cannot automatically back it up?

This seems like something they really need to make more clear on their site. When they use terms like sync files and selective sync, they have to know people are going to figure that it is automatic.

Do you know if they are at all interested in making people's workflow easier?

Mark
Super User II

No, they wont auto sync to Dropbox. 

Dropbox have also said they are not interested in setting this up because it causes so many issues. For example, Dropbox is designed as a syncing tool between devices. What happens on a device where that directory doesnt exist, or, its in a different place?

View solution in original post

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?