cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop Dropbox from syncing or uploading my files?

How do I stop Dropbox from syncing or uploading my files?

Helpful | Level 5

Yesterday, I used selective sync to stop syncing a few large photo folders to my computer. One folder has 5 sub-folders. I unclicked the subfolders thinking I could then create more sub folders as needed. Instead it created a duplicate folder with () stating something like select sync conflict. Then started to fully resync all 8 gb of files from 1st folder. I deleted this folder on website and on my computer. Also used select sync to fully unsync the original folder (not just sub-folders). Somehow, dropbox is still syncing these 8gbs of files. To where I'm not sure. How can I get it to cancel this sync??

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I stop an active sync in progress??

Dropboxer

Hey there @mlm - sorry to hear this.

You should be able to "cancel" any upload by moving the files out of the Dropbox folder. Do not delete the files since they may be your only copies of those files.

The Dropbox folder is just a normal folder on your computer (with syncing properties) so use it as such.

You can also pause any sync using the Dropbox icon from your system tray/menu bar. You can resume later if needed. Likewise, you can quit Dropbox from the same icon menu.

For more information on Selective Sync Conflicts, take a look below: 

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-conflicts

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Helpful | Level 5

Walter,

I just verified the status of this renamed file in selective sync. It somehow got checked again. So I unchecked and this time it all worked as it should have. FOlder deleted from my PC, sync now says up to date. Possibly, the system got into a glitch when I renamed the folder??

9 Replies 9

Dropboxer

Hey there @mlm - sorry to hear this.

You should be able to "cancel" any upload by moving the files out of the Dropbox folder. Do not delete the files since they may be your only copies of those files.

The Dropbox folder is just a normal folder on your computer (with syncing properties) so use it as such.

You can also pause any sync using the Dropbox icon from your system tray/menu bar. You can resume later if needed. Likewise, you can quit Dropbox from the same icon menu.

For more information on Selective Sync Conflicts, take a look below: 

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-conflicts

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

Walter,

I already deleted the file, but don't worry, I still have copies of all files deleted elsewhere in my external storage. All of what you sent in links I have read but does not seem to help cancel the sync process.  I just now opened the website and made viewable all deleted folders/files. I took a shot of it thinking photos explain quicker but I have no idea how to add it to this (I looked at the camera/link icons but they offer no link to browse to find a file on my computer.) Of the related folders, I see Orig file (deleted), Orig file (selective Sync Conflict) (deleted), renamed Orig File.  My PC Dropbox folder lists renamed Orig File. Yesterday I did delete this.

I need the website folder mostly so I can share with others the content. I just don't need it all duplicated on my PC.

So advice please on cancelling the active sync I have now paused, which is pausing any future syncs I might want until this is solved.

Helpful | Level 5

Walter,

I just verified the status of this renamed file in selective sync. It somehow got checked again. So I unchecked and this time it all worked as it should have. FOlder deleted from my PC, sync now says up to date. Possibly, the system got into a glitch when I renamed the folder??

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @mlm - in that case, maybe a rollback of your account would be better? 

Let me know if this sounds like a something you'd be interested in and I'll reach out to the email address you use for your forum's profile so we can then work on this together. 

While we're at it, what's your syncing status at the moment? Is it "Up to date" yet or still syncing the changes you applied? 

Spoiler

Your Dropbox folder is just a normal folder on your hard drive. Therefore, if you drag and drop files into the Dropbox folder, those files will be moved instead of copied

It's common to assume Dropbox works like a network drive because of its many online features. However, your Dropbox folder is actually a normal folder and its contents are stored on your hard drive. The Dropbox application only watches your Dropbox folder for changes and syncs those changes online and to your other computers. One of the benefits of this way of syncing is always having access to your files, even while you are offline.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

why will not add a Cancel option where you can start an upload and pause???i dont get it??? you dont think people will want to??? WTF??

New member | Level 2

Yeah why not just add a "Cancel" button to stop and cancel the sync? I just want to stop and cancel the sync, NOT pause it.

New member | Level 2

from your dropbox folder of the computer, find whatever folder is syncing and right click (menu) -> smart sync -> online only. 

I just had the same problem and suddenly 11000 files are syncing on my computer as a local file (which means all the files I have on dropbox will take up spaces on my computer). So I changed the files to be online instead of local. 

How do I get it to cancel sync

New member | Level 2

I just registered for sync with my pc, but regret! How do I do to cancel  it ??

Re: How do I get it to cancel sync

Dropboxer

Hi @terje nordstrand; thanks for joining the Community and happy Monday!

As your query seems to echo this discussion, I just merged your post under this thread.

Please feel free to take a look and let us know if you have any follow up questions. 

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?