cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop Dropbox messing up my computer even more?

How do I stop Dropbox messing up my computer even more?

mke1
Helpful | Level 5

I recently had to log in to Dropbox after my phone was repaired and all previously set conections had been lost. This seems to have activated your 'new' Dropbox which say how wonderful it as as I'll be able to access all my files from any devices. But I don't want that. Nevertheless, all my computer files have been uploaded to your site until my available free space is full. This has destroyed all the links to files on my computer, removed most shortcuts on my desktop and generally caused me a hell of a problem. All without me (knowingly) agreeing to do it. How can I download all my files again and get things back as they were? They seem to be being copied back to Dropbox when I move them back to my hard drive.

(And I've just been 'congratulated' for being awarded a 'Newcomer Badge'. Is Dropbox only intended to cater for those of infant school age, or with a similar mentality? How pathetic! So pathetic, in fact, that once I have got my files back, I will certainly consider deleting my Dropbox account completely.)

16 Replies 16

Re: How do I stop Dropbox messing up my computer even more?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @mke1, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with this!

It sounds like the backup feature was enabled for the desktop app during the setup. To disable this, please follow the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article.

Also, to move your files back to their original locations on your computer, in step 8 you can choose the option "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac".

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mke1
Helpful | Level 5

Hello Daphne,

Thank you for your reply, but it hasn't helped me yet. I've read the article as you suggest and tried folloowing the instructions, but I can see no Manage Backup button to click. What opens for me after 'Preferences' is a window with  General, Account, Backup, Bandwidth, Proxies, Notidications and Sync tabs. Opening the Backup tab has 'This PC' with an option there to 'Set up', from which I can deselect what is being backed up. But if I deselect them all, the 'select box' is greyed out. So I can't yet stop this unwelcome backup and my computer setting continue to be messed around. Help, please!

Noreen
Helpful | Level 5

I'm here trying to figure out the same thing. It has made my computer nearly non-functional. 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @mke1!

If you're seeing "Set up" instead of "Manage" then the backup feature has already been disabled. Please try moving the content of backup folder in Dropbox back to the original locations on your computer.

Can you let me know @Noreen if you tried disabling the backup with the info I posted above? If so, can you let me know where you're running into an issue with this?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Noreen
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Daphne,

Thank you. I did turn off the backup, changed some settings, and moved a lot of files. I've got things back to where they are no longer negatively impacting my computer functioning. 

I don't know if I have things set up in the best way now but to be honest I'm a little hesitant to use the backup and synch functions. 

I appreciate your response.

Noreen

mke1
Helpful | Level 5

I'm glad Noreen's computer is back to normal. Mine is still a complete and unfunctioning mess. I've copied the whole backup folder to my desktop (leaving the original in place so that my Dropbox is still completely full, and that Dropbox cannot repeat it's 'file grab', even if it tries) and from there I will slowly have to put the files back into their proper places manually. I will, of course, have to be very careful doing this as when the 'Dropbox backup copy' and the 'Documents' windows are opened next to one another on my screen, their file structures are identical, so it's quite easy to get confused as to what I am looking at and where. But I suppose, eventually, I will develop a plan or system to do this, and get this time-consuming operation completed. It is time I should not have to spend and can ill afford. So I'm still very unhappy that this should have happened at all, and my problem is, at this minute, far from solved.

Noreen
Helpful | Level 5

I completely agree! It was a great deal of time and though my computer is functioning normally I am a long way from having all my files sorted back in a way I'm comfortable with and am very wary of changing any settings. 

I am very disappointed in the function, education, implementation and support provided to this point. And as I've been using Dropbox for over 10 years really very surprised.

I'm far from a happy customer at this point.

GordonGoodtimes
New member | Level 2

I was considering paying for Dropbox until it destroyed my file structure on my computer. You lost a customer because I lost the original hard drive structure of my computer. 

Achulhu
New member | Level 2

Just installed Dropbox and it immediately started cucking me from my files. I'm absolutely terrified that I've lost files and I have no way actually knowing. This is user UNfriendly in every sense of the word and I won't be using this software moving forward. What a nightmare and loss of so many hours. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GordonGoodtimes New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropboxer
    Eriel New member | Level 2
    David111 New member | Level 2
    triggerhippie New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?