cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I seem to have lost some files after setting up the computer backup feature. Any ideas?

Re: I seem to have lost some files after setting up the computer backup feature. Any ideas?

Dropboxer

Hi @flo bres; welcome to the Dropbox Community and happy Monday!

As a first step here,since it sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature, could you check our dedicated Help Center article and let me know if you have any follow up questions?

Thanks a bunch Florian!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Hello
Thanks for your reply
I have seen the article but it does not solve my issue.
The backup happened before I had purchased the 2to option. So I only have 2go on Dropbox now, but all the rest (approx 150go) is neither on my laptop nor on Dropbox. So my hard drive has been wiped out and I’m in very deep trouble. Can you help ? Thanks

Dropboxer

Can you find any sign of those files on the deleted files page or your account's events page @flo bres?

If not, they never made it to our servers so you should be looking for them locally on your computer; perhaps in the recycle bin?

Keep me posted! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hello

thanks for your reply

I checked bith events and deleted files, there is nothing there

basically what seems to have happened is that 

- all my files were uploaded, and therefore deleted from my computer (hard dive went down from 230 go to 80 go, and recycle bin si empty

- only 2 Go were uploaded on dropbox

- the rest is basically gone forever

which is a VERY SERIOUS fault of how dropbox works, especially with almost no warnings to the new user

so I would like to receive higher level support on this urgently, I happen to be COO of a tech company, and I know we would mobilize real support for such a blow up

so pls get in touch and I would like to speak to someone asap to understand what happened and how to recover these important files

thanks
Florian Bressand

Re: How to stop "My Docs" syncing into Dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

Me too--the new desktop app started backing up my files seemingly automatically as I set it up. Now, it seems these files are being held captive on the servers--I can't delete the dropbox folder because that's the ONLY place they're kept now, once I stop backing up. Why wouldn't it just keep everything on the computer and delete it from Dropbox?

Not applicable

Hello @KenJ 

Dropbox sync automatically sync's files to your Dropbox Account and keeps them in your Dropbox folder on your computer. When you stop/pause Dropbox sync your files no longer sync up with Dropbox.com. But, the already synced files stay on your Dropbox folder and dropbox.com account. I hope this helps!

-----

HeartDid this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the follow up Florian. 

I can see you're in direct communication with our Advanced Support team so I've passed your comments there to have all the relevant information in one place and also bumped your ticket's priority so you should be hearing from our experts soon.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with in the meantime. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

This did not help. I do not want those files or folders on Dropbox, I did not want them there to begin with. Dropbox forced this on me. and now I cannot find any way to move those folders and files back to my computer and out of Dropbox. That is what I want to do, and that is what no one at Dropbox is helping me with.

Not applicable

Hello @KenJ 

If you want to disable Dropbox Sync, to stop your files from syncing up with your Dropbox Account go to https:confused face:/help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/pause-resume and follow the provided steps. I hope this helps!

-----

HeartDid this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

No. That does not help. I do not want to pause or resume syncing of those files/folders, I want to cut them completely away from Dropbox and move them back to the folders they were in originally. Dropbox is not giving me an option to do so. Clearly, this Beta of Backup is half-baked, which makes it all the more heinous that Dropbox forced it on me (or snuck it in) without my permission.

Polls
Do you use Dropbox for work, personal use or both?
Tell us your thoughts?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?