cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disengage

Highlighted

Re: How to stop "My Docs" syncing into Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey @KenJ, thanks for joining us here!

As you've enabled computer backup by mistake when setting up the app, you can disable this with the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article.

Once this is disabled, you can then move the files from the backup folder in Dropbox back to their original locations on your computer.

If you have any trouble with disabling the backup, please do let me know and I'd be more than happy to help out.

Hope that helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Nope, this didn't work. Even after disabling Backup, the folders seem linked. I tried dragging all of the files from the Dropbox Downloads folder to my computer's Downloads folder, and was told that it was going to the same folder. They all appeared in the desktop download folder, but stayed in the Dropbox folder. Then, when I deleted them from the Dropbox folder, they all disappeared from the desktop Downloads folder too. Which is exactly what I was saying earlier: If I want them on my desktop now, I have to keep them in Dropbox. You're holding them hostage, and you want to charge me for it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I'm having exactly the same problem and it is driving me NUTS...!  I just set up a new iMac, and used Migration Assistant to transfer everything from the old iMac to the new one.  But now, on starting the new iMac, I was presented with Dropbox sign-in and told to download the app, which I already had on the old iMac.  Somehow in doing that, it started this stupid automatic backup of iMac.local to my Dropbox folder on BOTH iMac desktops.  And there seems to be no way to turn it off!  I already do automatic Time Machine backups, plus SuperDuper disk clone backups, every day.  Plus all my Apple stuff is backed up to and syncs to iCloud.  I do NOT need Dropbox backing up my computer as well.  But as fast as I keep deleting the iMac.local file from my desktop Dropbox folder, it just keeps reappearing.  And when I go to Preferences/Backups/Setup - all the boxes are once again ticked.  I untick them - again - but there is no "Save" button.  Just "Setup" and "Not now".  I've tried both of those, but the f*#*#ing thing STILL keeps backing up.

HOW DO I TURN OFF BACKUPS???.  

I still want my desktop Dropbox folder to sync, as it has always done, but I do NOT want automatic backups, especially by default, and especially ones that I seem unable to turn off.  I want to put stuff into my Dropbox folder that I want in there, and that I want to sync across my devices.  I do NOT want to use Dropbox as yet another cloud-syncing backup mechanism.

So - HOW DO I TURN IT OFF?

Highlighted

Re: Syncronization of Desktop,Documents,Downloads

New member | Level 2

Hi. I have the same problem. All the documents I download go to Dropbox so I have no space. Do u have any answer?

Highlighted

Re: Syncronization of Desktop,Documents,Downloads

Dropboxer

Hi @mikialmeria, it sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Restrict access to my documents

New member | Level 2

Dear community,

Dropbox has access to my "documents" folder. I think I've accidentally ticked the box for that to happen. But I do not want Dropbox to have access to anything on my pc but my other shared folders. How can I restrict access to "documents"? I can't seem to find any solution. 

I'm using the desktop app and have tried looking to restrict access on the web app too.

Thanks and best regards,

max

Highlighted

Re: Restrict access to my documents

Super User II

@maxszadz wrote:

Dropbox has access to my "documents" folder

You have the computer backup feature enabled.

Highlighted

Disengage

New member | Level 2
How can I disconnected my local file from my Dropbox folder because I mistakenly selected my entire file of PC with my Dropbox now I want to disconnect it from my Dropbox
Highlighted

Re: Disengage

Dropboxer

Thanks for reaching out to us here @Nazim Uddin Biplob!

When you have the chance, please check out Jay's post here for some more info on this.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne

Highlighted

Link between Dropbox and computer

New member | Level 2

Many of my files and documents have been loaded in Dropbox (I don't know how) and there is no space to receive documents shared by others. When I try to delete documents in Dropbox, they are also deleted in my computer.

How can I be sure to restore all documents in my computer and avoid that all is connected ?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?