cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: HELP! stop drobbox from syncing with my computer

Re: Unwanted Uploads/Sync

Jay
Dropboxer
Are you referring to the files syncing down from the site, or is the app trying to sync other files from your machine?

You can pause the desktop app the moment it boots up, however, it won't help you get the files since the app allows you to sync them anyway. If this is the case, then you can download them from the site.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jsglass
Explorer | Level 3

I have uninstalled the desktop app.  When I tried to download it again (because it is convenient to have the app vs. going to the online side) it immediately started to "synch" and grab files from my desktop.  I don't want to have any files from dropbox on my desktop NOR do I want any of my desktop files to be on dropbox.  Is this possible with the app?  I just want to be able to navigate dropbox files via the app.... that's all!  🙂

Daphne
Dropboxer
If the app is trying to sync the files from the computer, then it means that the backup is still enabled @jsglass.

In this case, it might actually be a good thing so that we can disable the backup correctly. This means that the changes can be reverted automatically and you won't need to take any further steps.

To do this, can you please install the app if you've uninstalled it, and once the app starts up you can immediately pause syncing with these steps.

Then, you can go into the app preferences and disable the backup with the steps outlined here, towards the bottom of the article.

In step 6, you'll choose to keep the files on your computer rather than Dropbox, to stop the files syncing with Dropbox.

This will reverse the syncing process, so if a few things do sync initially when you start up the app before you're able to pause, this will be reverted with the steps above.

Once you've done this, only the files that you add within the Dropbox folder on your computer will sync with your account online.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Empty Dropbox

nkmccarthy7
New member | Level 2

I signed up for dropbox. I must have clicked sync. It tried to sync everything but hit the limit. I do not want to use dropbox for all of my files, just a few I would like to keep separate. please tell me how to get all of my files out of dropbox and back on my pc without deleting them!!

Re: Empty Dropbox

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hello @nkmccarthy7, thanks for reaching out to us. 

It sounds like computer backup is enabled, which adds computer folders (like Desktop and Downloads) to your Dropbox folder. 

You can turn it off and move the files back to their original locations by following the steps mentioned in this article

Let us know if you have any trouble along the way and we'll get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Re: SOS HELP WITH DESKTOP DROPBOX

dragonjoy
Explorer | Level 4

I appreciate your time and help. This is the first chance I've had to take care of this and your reply made the process so much easier. Thank you! May you and yours be prosperous, healthy, and know joy and wellbeing all your life!

Bring back my files to my computer

Sandboy43
New member | Level 2

I just opened a Dropbox account and it automatically transferred a large amount of my files to dropbox and not on my computer... I did not give permission for this to happen... How do I reverse this backup and restore all files back to the proper spots on my computer?

Trying to completly delete dropbox

Jmamma
New member | Level 2

I've been trying to delete Dropbox from my laptop ever since I realized it has basically hijacked my files! I only installed it to share some files with my accountant. I didn't realize they would take all of the files on my computer and put them under their "safekeeping". Plus, it's continually telling me that I've used all of my free storage and now I need to upgrade! I thought it would just be a way to share files. I didn't want or need another way to store and backup files. 

I finally found the way to do it, but under the delete account button, it says files will be gone forever... This is freaking me out a bit. Does anyone know whether I will be able to select the files I want to return back to my pc like they were before I installed Dropbox?? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

HELP! stop drobbox from syncing with my computer

TFB
Explorer | Level 3

Please Help! Somehow i started a sync from Dropbox with my Mac computer. My desktop files and many others are alrerady synced on my dropbox, never wanted that to happened.  I paused it indefinitely. If i delete the files already synced on DB, are they going to be delete from my computer?? So scared to even try.

Re: HELP! stop drobbox from syncing with my computer

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @TFB,

Don't delete anything!!! What is syncing?! If you delete something in sync, deletion will be synced too. Take a look here, it's the same. 😉

Hope this helps.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Need more support?