cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do I reverse what dropbox did to my pc

Re: How do I reverse what dropbox did to my pc

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Steven T.10 wrote:

... (as enticing as the marketing and promotion of this "feature" (a/k/a "bug") was). 

Hi @Steven T.10,

😁 Yes, I fully agree such a "feature" is pretty close to bug, actually. That's why better don't use something you aren't aware what exactly it's actually. In most cases such things are very close to bugs, like the particular!

@Steven T.10 wrote:

I have the exact same issue on my Mac.  Everything was removed from my desktop and I cannot locate it. 

Why do you think your issue is "exact same"? Yes, most probably initially it's the same (the Dropbox Backup), but since "everything was removed" there is something more. Most probably you have done something after you have turned Backup on and before turn it back off, otherwise your problem would be solved already. Try figure out what exactly you have done and where are your files now; you are the only who know this. If you have deleted the files try revert them before gone forever; take a look here.

Just for clarity: Turning on Dropbox backup moves selected folders into Dropbox folder, so they can sync to the cloud. The aren't on their initial places anymore. When you follow exact steps above (in my previous post) the backed up folders go back to the initial place. If you have done something between turning feature on and off or if you done something with the folders while they are in Dropbox (and you assume that's something different - big error) or left them within Dropbox folder, could lead to troubles. Try recall what is (or could be) the reason and investigate further. That's it (definitely not the absolutely same as OP here).

Hope this gives right directions.

Re: LOST and Dissatisfied

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Saxman63, I've merged you to this thread with similar queries. 

It seems like you've enabled the computer backup feature on Dropbox, which is why your files are syncing to the desktop.

You can disable it using the steps in this article, which will also allow you to move the files back to their default locations, and remove them from Dropbox. 

If there are any deleted files, try recovering them from the Dropbox site.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Everything on my computer has ended up in Dropbox

TACox
Explorer | Level 4

Somehow EVERYTHING on my computer is now in a dropbox file.  Within that file is now a folder called "My Mac (MacBook-Pro)" and within that folder is now a folder called "Desktop" containing all of the files that used to be on my desk top.  My "Application" folder in the toolbar at the bottom now has a big "?" in it and is not accessible. My "Documents" file in the tool bar is the same.

I am not tech savy.  Is there someone whom I can hire to screen share with me to help me put everything back the way that it used to be before Dropbox took over everything.

Sadly, I've learned that Dropbox is just too darned complicated for someone like me who is not a techy.

Re: Everything on my computer has ended up in Dropbox

Mike W
Explorer | Level 3

I have exactly the same issue and I just posted another complain in the forum. This is scam and they should not do this without explicit user permission! In Windows, the folder is a hidden folder by default, if you are not tech savvy, you can not even find it. What else is Dropbox secretly moving from my computer into the Dropbox folder so they can spy on?

I don't think it is "complicated", it is made by purpose. 

TACox
Explorer | Level 4

I've just spent over 40 minutes with a Dropbox person on Chat.  No fix.  They cannot even find a way to screenshare to look at my computer to see what is going on.  It is outrageous that Dropbox creates a program that can take over everything in my computer and move it about, take documents off my desktop, make my Applications folder on my tool bar inaccessible, make my documents folder in my tool bar inaccessible.  It is equally outrageous that Dropbox offers no live telephone support.  My worklife has been made a living hell with all of this.

Mike W
Explorer | Level 3

I have uninstalled it and luckily it restores everything back normal. Try it and good luck. 

Saxman63
Explorer | Level 4

Man do I agree with you!! All I need is for someone to help take remote control and return things to the way they were before I got into this mess. I don't have the time or patience to sift through thread after thread and post after post trying suggestions in vain to fix the anxiety dropbox is causing me right now. I figured I'd start by copying the few important files that I use day to day and paste them to my desktop, but it wont let me paste. I tried to move them  to a flash drive...same thing, they cant be moved. Now just so I dont lose them while I try to reconcile this I'm printing them out. I cant even move a file out of dropbox, it has control of my whole computer..ugh..

Re: LOST and Dissatisfied

Saxman63
Explorer | Level 4

I'm truly lost, dropbox has taken over my computer and I have not patience for this...i want my life back. i used to sync two or three files and I had control. now i dont know what is happening.

Mike W
Explorer | Level 3

Good for you! I used Dropbox since 10 years ago since I was in college, back then it was maybe the only cloud-sharing service. An example where the desire of taking control and power ruins a good software 🙂 

It made me especially scary when I come to this forum and find many complaining their data is suddenly lost. I used to use my institution's OneDrive for work and keep Dropbox for personal, but I think it's time for me to move on now. 

Saxman63
Explorer | Level 4

Going to try again today to recover all my lost files that are, God knows where. There are some that I was just looking for and all I can find is 2017 files and I know I have 2020 versions of those excel files. Anyway important things have been gobbled up in the cloud and I have no idea how to recover them. More importantly, I don't really have the time for this as someone in dropbox tech could get them back or guide me in minutes. Bottom line is, the instructions when setting up dropbox initially are not clear enough for the "layman". I am fairly computer savvy and was astonished when everything just disappeared from my desktop and really have no idea where it is.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?