cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not delete file

Re: How can I keep my files local and not online only?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi @anonymous, thanks for reaching out. 

It sounds like computer backup was enabled, which adds your computer folders (such as Downloads and Desktop) to your Dropbox folder. 

In this case, you can turn it off and move the files back to their original locations, by following these steps

Give them a shot and let me know how it goes. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

How to delete my hard drive backup

scp1104
New member | Level 2

Hello, I have a dropbox account through my job, with my work email. I installed dropbox on my computer at home so i can work from home when I'm not at the office. dropbox created a folder backing up my hard drive, and when i went to the office today the backup showed on my work computer. Obviously i don't want that there so i want to know how do i remove it from my dropbox. I followed the instructions in the help support center but there is no delete option i can see when i go to "All Files". Please help.

Mistakenly uploaded all of my files to Dropbox and want to delete them from cloud

12AcreStudio
New member | Level 2

Hello. I have a new client that let me know they use DB for file sharing.

In preparing to use DropBox, I mistakenly had all of my iMac files uploaded to DP, and now I want to delete them from the cloud. If I do that through dropbox.com, will the files in USER/DOCUMENTS/MY FILES IN DROPBOX on my iMac be intact?

Re: Mistakenly uploaded all of my files to Dropbox and want to delete them from cloud

Rich
Super User II

@12AcreStudio wrote:

In preparing to use DropBox, I mistakenly had all of my iMac files uploaded to DP, and now I want to delete them from the cloud.

Sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature.

Re: How to delete my hard drive backup

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi @scp1104, thanks for checking in. 

What you're describing sounds like computer backup, which you can turn off by following the steps mentioned in this article

Have a look through it and let me know how of any updates, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Don't want to auto sync!

Judy1044
Explorer | Level 3

I am on Basic plan because my primary reason for using Dropbox is to sync Moneydance to my iPhone and store 10-15 annual training files.  This morning, I clicked on a "Learn More" button re auto syncing and I almost immediately received notification that I was out of space and needed to upgrade.  I don't want to upgrade--totally satisfied with Basic plan--and want to get back to what I had stored as of the end of the day on 4/5/2021.  I have paused syncing indefinitely pending further advice from Dropbox.  I'm reading if you delete a file from Dropbox, it also will be deleted from my Mac which has me shaking in my shoes.  How do I "unwind" what syncing was started at 7:12am today, ensure that those synced files are, in fact, still on my hard drive and get my space to the <2 GB size?  Emma, a chat rep, started to provide me with "step-by-step instructions" earlier today, but when I clicked on Keep files(?)..., a new dialog box opened--shaded grey--and Emma suggested that I go to Support for technical assistance.  Please help!!!

Re: Don't want to auto sync!

Rich
Super User II

@Judy1044 wrote:

How do I "unwind" what syncing was started at 7:12am today, ensure that those synced files are, in fact, still on my hard drive and get my space to the <2 GB size?

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature.

Can not delete file

lakesd6531
New member | Level 2

lakesd6531_0-1617853163860.png

I don't know why I have this file.

but it can not delete.

Re: Can not delete file

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi @lakesd6531, this folder is created when computer backup is enabled and contains selected computer folders (like Downloads or Desktop). 

You can turn the feature off and move these files back to where they originally were, by following these steps.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

I deleted Dropbox and my account data, but it is still syncing how do I fix this?

tx0ny
New member | Level 2

I deleted Dropbox App and my account data, but it is still syncing and I was curious to see what would happened if I deleted C: >users> USER> Dropbox> My PC> Desktop/documents/downloads/, and it deleted my C: drive but luckily I stopped it 25% before it deleted 50%. But even more luckily I had a restore point which dated when I installed Dropbox but when I went back to the restore Point it still had Drop box Desktop/documents/downloads, and still syncing. Please help me fix it to stop syncing and to go back to C:\Users\USER\Desktop\documents\downloads.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Need more support?