cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop Dropbox syncing my computer folders?

How do I stop Dropbox syncing my computer folders?

New member | Level 2

Hello all,

I am a MAC user.  I recently added a feature to my Dropbox Plus account where I can sync my Desktop and Downloads Folders.  Although initially I thought this to be a good idea, I now find that everytime I install a program or connect my video camera to my computer, Dropbox immediately begins to sync any changes to my desktop, including the SD Card connected to my camera etc.

How can I disable this feature so my desktop is not affected by Dropbox?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to Remove Dropbox Sync to Desktop and Downloads

Dropboxer

Hi @mcpreece, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you’ve enabled the automatic computer backup.

You can follow the steps in this article to disable it, so you can then move the folders back to their old location.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

156 Replies 156

Dropboxer

Hi @mcpreece, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you’ve enabled the automatic computer backup.

You can follow the steps in this article to disable it, so you can then move the folders back to their old location.

Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Thank you!  This has solved my problem.

Dropboxer

Glad to have helped out, @mcpreece!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

My account reports to be out of space after I used the automatic computer backup feature. Help!

New member | Level 2

Hello! I have a problem and I can't manage it myself, unfortunately, I've tried everything I could. Well. I've installed Dropbox on my laptop and it asked me to let it to settings. Actually I needed this program to make text in it with another person at the same time, so it was enough for me only to sign it, not to download and so on. But I installed it never the less, pushed OK on every question. Then during my work in a text file in Dropbox, every new letter was reflected in a pop-up message as "Look! Here is updating". So... it was kinda annoying and my laptop started being warm and noisy... I decided to delete the Dropbox program and just pulled it into the garbage. And then the problem started - the basket showed that 987 objects are deleting! And I couldn't stop it! So the Desktop, the Documents, the Downloads are disappeared! Ok, I found all my files and folders in Dropbox online. But when I try to download it back it tells me that I have no space for it. Well. Ok. I ask Siry for how many spaces I have, so its 100 GB. And all my efforts to download even small objects fails by the same reason - no space. So. I need to understand what the heck I did and how to fix it back. Please, somebody, help russian blond stupid girl! I suffer and this situation delays my job!

Re: My account reports to be out of space after I used the automatic computer backup feature. Help!

Dropboxer

Hi there @Milka_Gen, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with this!

Just to clarify with you so I can assist you more accurately, can you just let me know if you moved the Dropbox folder to your trash bin on your computer?

Are you able to restore the folder from there perhaps? If you uninstalled the application on your computer, the Dropbox folder will just be like any other folder on your computer.

Also, if you try downloading your files directly from the web, what error do you get? If your account is full, the desktop app wouldn't be able to sync but you can still download them from the web.

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Windows 10 Users\Uname directory is being duplicated in a subfolder within dropbox

New member | Level 2

I have found a directory within a sub-sub directory of C:confused face:Users\Dropbox that appears to be an exact duplicate of my C:confused face:Users\MyName directory. Changes made in either directory show up immediately in the other.

Deleting the dropbox duplicate deletes the proper one, so I cannot get rid of the duplication.

The duplication is recursive, so it repeats "further down" than I care to follow it.

However, it does NOT seem to be a duplication of the files themselves, else my drive would be maxed out, and non functional.

I'd like to get rid of the duplicate, if possible, as it causes a bit of a problem when I'm searching for files. Other than that, I don't know if it's causing problems or not.

Re: Windows 10 Users\Uname directory is being duplicated in a subfolder within dropbox

New member | Level 2

I might be having a similar problem. Windows 10. 

When I open the Windows File Explorer, I see dropbox. That dropbox matches the items on the website (dropbox).

However, in the structure of my hard drive (C: Users/My Name/), it seems that Dropbox is duplicated. And, I have added things to one of these dropbox folders that are not syncing. 

Re: Windows 10 Users\Uname directory is being duplicated in a subfolder within dropbox

Super User II

@bsmall wrote:

I have found a directory within a sub-sub directory of C:confused face:Users\Dropbox that appears to be an exact duplicate of my C:confused face:Users\MyName directory. Changes made in either directory show up immediately in the other.

I mistakenly added my desktop, downloads and document folders to Dropbox sync. How do I undo?

New member | Level 2

I mistakenly added mypc (desktop, downloads and document folders) to dropbox sync. How do i undo pls

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?