cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop uploading

How do I stop uploading

Explorer | Level 3

I accidently started an upload of 60 large files twice. Now DB is telling me that 120 files are being uploaded. How do I stop uploading.

Thank you,

Jim

13 Replies 13

Re: How do I stop uploading

Dropboxer
Easiest way is to move these files away from your Dropbox folder.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Are you saying that there is no way to stop an upload?

Jim

Super User II

jpalik wrote:

Are you saying that there is no way to stop an upload?

The way to stop an upload is to remove the files being uploaded. Anything you put in the Dropbox folder will be uploaded to your account. If you don't want something to upload, remove it from the folder.

Dropboxer
or alternatively pause the sync with Dropbox, but once you un-pause it will continue to upload the files (so it's not a permanent solution). More info: https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/180

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Dear Ed,

If I understand you anything I put in a folder that I link to my dropbox account is automatically uploaded. Is this correct? Then, what this means to me is that if I want to use dropbox only as a temorary way to transfer large files to someone, I need to:

1.  keep my dropbox folder empty.

2.  Move the files is wish to transfer to transfer to the temporary folder

3.  As soon as the files are transfered, remove them from the temporary folder.

I am struggleing to understand how uploaded dropbox files relate to my locally stored files. Are they duplicated by dropbox or are they simply links?

Jim

Super User II
Yes. You got that correct - remember that Dropbox is a syncing tool. It is designed to sync everything in the folder to all other locations. Think of Dropbox as a mirror. Whatever happens in the Dropbox folder (which is a real life local folder on your computer so using space) happens at www.dropbox.com as well.

And no. That wont work. As soon as you remove them from the 'temporary' folder they will delete from Dropbox. While you are sending them places you need to leave them in Dropbox - either as a move from another location or a copy

- - -

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

It doesn't work.  I want to stop files transferring.  I have deleted them from the laptop pictures folder, where I was transferring them in the first place, and put them onto a storage hard drive.  But, it is STILL transferring pictures!!!!!!!  I want to stop it - in simple terms, please.

Dropboxer

Hey there @jo27

Welcome to the Dropbox Community! I'd be more than happy to help. 

As a first step though, could you just clarify for me how you've moved and cancelled the copying of content into your Dropbox account? Were you using the website, the desktop app, or were you doing this through your Dropbox folder?

Any additional info and screenshots (without any personal info) you could include would be very helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi

Firstly, please note that, although I've been using computers since win 95, I am a bit ignorant in modern systems/way-things-work.  They seem to be unnecessarily complicated!  As to your queries:

The movement of the files was initiated, on my computer, by dragging the files (photographs) from the MY PICTURES folder (on a laptop) onto Dropbox.  When FULL DROPBOX warning came up, I couldn't find any way to stop the file movement.

Therefore, I paused the sync, initially.  Then saved all the pictures onto an external Hard Drive.  Plus, saved them onto a slave Hard Drive on my PC.  Then deleted the pictures from the laptop.  I then deleted the pictures from Dropbox by going to my Dropbox online account.  When I unsynced, the files carried on transferring.  I kept deleting from Dropbox as previously, but files still kept transferring.  So, I paused sync again and sent the above message.

Of course, everytime I open up laptop the sync starts again.........  I hope that you can help.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?