cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do I upload folders to my dropbox?

How do I upload folders to my dropbox?

josh p.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am having an issue. I want to put all my files from my laptop into the dropbox as backup. I would then be able to delete some of those files on my laptop because it is full. The problem I keep having is I can only upload files and I need to upload whole folders. When I try to copy and paste them into the dropbox on my desktop, the files are put on my hard drive as well as my dropbox. How can I put folders into dropbox without also putting them on my hard drive?

18 Replies 18

jim w.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is [censored] stupid...  Unimaginable that you can drag-n-drop a "folder" into the Dropbox arena.  Here is a "free" idea:

1. Create a "Right-Click" option that allows you to select "Dropbox" for an auto sync from a folder on your computer.  

[censored] guys.  How hard can it be for the millions of users you have enable a Folder upload!!

Jim 

jim w.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Come on guys - does anyone that works at "Dropbox" use their service?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Jim, I've edited your posts. Please watch your language here or your posts could be removed or your account suspended. Thank you.

Christopher S.34
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

prehistoric service...thinking of leaving too...

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The ability to upload a folder is a limitation of your browser, not Dropbox. Even Firefox has acknowledged this. It works in Chrome, but no other browsers. Even on Google Drive, it only works in Chrome.

If you're using the web interface and you want to upload complete folders, use Chrome as your browser.

bustab
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Dropbox - I just wanted to let you know that as a result of this issue I am migrating my entire account to Onedrive and cancelling my sub. 

"The ability to upload a folder is a limitation of your browser, not Dropbox. Even Firefox has acknowledged this. It works in Chrome, but no other browsers."

Not for me. But Microsoft have it working just fine.

Good day sirs.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

bustab wrote:

But Microsoft have it working just fine.

As does Dropbox...

Uploading a folder in the web interface through ChromeUploading a folder in the web interface through Chrome

And look, in Firefox as well now...

Uploading a folder in the web interface through FirefoxUploading a folder in the web interface through Firefox

Tod_Tigi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

DropBox,

You are right. If in Chrome, you can drag and drop. However, your upload times and error rates are terrible. Unfortunately Google Drive has you licked on this one. Hope to see some improvement if you want to keep my business.

~TT

Tammie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you loads for this, you just saved me from major frustration!

I was attempting a folder upload using a Safari browser which wasn't allowing for whole folders upload!! I have now been able to do just that using Chrome!

Thank you for your post.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?