cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I upload folders to my dropbox?

How do I upload folders to my dropbox?

josh p.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am having an issue. I want to put all my files from my laptop into the dropbox as backup. I would then be able to delete some of those files on my laptop because it is full. The problem I keep having is I can only upload files and I need to upload whole folders. When I try to copy and paste them into the dropbox on my desktop, the files are put on my hard drive as well as my dropbox. How can I put folders into dropbox without also putting them on my hard drive?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

bustab wrote:

But Microsoft have it working just fine.

As does Dropbox...

Uploading a folder in the web interface through ChromeUploading a folder in the web interface through Chrome

And look, in Firefox as well now...

Uploading a folder in the web interface through FirefoxUploading a folder in the web interface through Firefox

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Josh

You can save the folders on your Dropbox and then use the Selective Sync feature to choose which folders need to be on your computer + Dropbox OR only on Dropbox.

More instructions here: https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Gavin C.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi 

I have the same problem, however I cannot use the sync option, as the company I work for blocks this. I can access the web interface, and so would need to be able to upload files from my work laptop so I can access them from other devices. Doing this file by file is unpractical, and would take forever.

Kind regards

Gavin

Mark S.126
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

May as well use an external if it's going to be this much trouble to just upload. Whoever makes a program that makes it easy to just drop and drag stuff to a cloud, is gonna put you out of business...

Matter of fact, just checked out Google Drive, and you just go to New, Upload Folder, and it's DONE. Inexcusable to make it so byzantine. Get a clue, Dropbox... bye for now.

Jackie L.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

yep.

Ron M.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Mark S. is right, I too will be leaving your antiquated service asap

Rod H.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm starting to think the same way as Mark, between the SLOW upload and download speeds and the inability to upload folders, I can't use your service ...... but of course you're still charging me for it

Bill K.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just upgraded to a yearly 1 TB subscription and I tried to copy a 4.5 GB folder from my google drive to dropbox; I get an error that the file is "too big". (Mind you, I'm only using 1.2 GB out of the 1 TB that is available to me on Dropbox.)

As it turns out, the problem was due to my startup disk being filled up so that there was not enough space to transfer these files. I think file transfers from google drive (or any other cloud drive) to dropbox work as follows.

In Finder, copy the folder from the other cloud drive. Then, paste it into Dropbox. The way Finder on the Mac does this is it first copies the folder into your Mac hard drive and then it moves it into Dropbox. If your Mac hard drive (a.k.a "Startup Drive") does not have enough space to make a temporary copy of this folder, you'll get an error indicating that there is not enough space to copy the folder.

You may fix this problem by cleaning your Startup Drive. For example, I opened up a lot of space by deleting several large and obsolete files from my Downloads folder. Once I cleared enough room in my Mac hard drive, the copy operation from Google Drive to Dropbox went smoothly.

So, as it turns out, this problem was not directly attributable to Dropbox. Rather, the issue was that there was not enough space in my Mac hard drive to complete the copy and space operation between google drive and Dropbox.

Katie K.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Bill K. -- this makes a lot more sense! 

Claus W.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My (pretty simple) workaround for this is:

1. Create a folder which will be the final destination for the folders you want to upload.I'll call it "Folder X." Disable automatic syncing for this one.

2. Create a folder which will be what I'll call "Transfer Folder". Enable automatic syncing for this one.

3. Grab the folder you want to upload, and put it into the "Transfer Folder." Once the folder upload finished, go to the web interface, and move it to "Folder X." How frequent you have to do this step 3 depends on how much space you have left on your computer's hard drive.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Christopher S.34 New member | Level 1
    jim w.6 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?