cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i delete duplicate folder in my dropbox without it deleting from my PC?

How do i delete duplicate folder in my dropbox without it deleting from my PC?

New member | Level 2

Hi, Very much a newbie to dropbox. I uploaded my documents folder to dropbox and then accidently duplicated it. I also have duplicates of other folders from when I was working out how uploading worked. How do I delete a folder from dropbox without it deleting from my PC? When i choose the delete option via right click on mouse. I get a message from dropbox asking if I want to delete from Dropbox account and all devices, which i don't. I don't want to delete from my PC just dropbox. It doesn't give me an option to choose, for example "No just delete from Dropbox".

Also when I opted into the new 'auto back up' of my PC to Drop Box, it created a 3rd Documents folder.  Hahaha what a mess!!

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Re: How do i delete duplicate folder in my dropbox without it deleting from my PC?

Dropboxer

Hi there @Sgoogs, thanks for checking in with us. 

If you don't want to delete a folder from your computer but you don't want it in your Dropbox folder anymore, you can simply cut-paste or move it outside of the Dropbox folder. 

That way, you're deleting it from your Dropbox account but not from your computer. 

However, if you are using computer backup, which adds your Documents, Desktop, and Downloads folders to your Dropbox folder, you'll have to turn it off first before moving the files back to their original locations. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?