cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i replicate a folder structure (eg copy it to create 2nd copy) within Dropbox?

How do i replicate a folder structure (eg copy it to create 2nd copy) within Dropbox?

Andy H.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi - 

I have folder structure with around 200GB of files in it. It synchs with my local laptop. I would like to create a replica of this folder structure on Dropbox that is not connected to my local machine. I don't have enough storage on my local machine to replicate it, and then remove the duplicate files afterward. So i simply want to create a second copy of the files that lives only in the cloud. That way, if and when i would ultimately delete the original folder structure, which due to synching would delete the original cloud copy, i will still have the second copy of files in the cloud. 

I'm already familiar with selective synch and the ability to store the files only on one side of the synch, that's not my issue. Assume there is a valid reason i need a second copy of the files. 

Any idea how to accomplish this within Dropbox cloud? Thanks much!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Andy H.2 wrote:

I am simply attempting to take a large folder structure of thousands of files that already exists in my dropbox account, and replicate it. Copy it. So that i have *2* copies of the folder structure in the cloud, only one copy of which is 'synching' with the local files.

Create a new top-level folder within Dropbox. Use Selective Sync to remove that folder from your local drive (uncheck it within Selective Sync). Once the folder has been removed from your local drive, go to the Dropox website and use the Copy function to copy the folders you wish to duplicate into the new top-level folder. Anything placed in that folder will not sync to your computer. Note that you'll need to update the Selective Sync settings on all computers, if you have more than one.

Dropbox *must* have the ability to copy a folder structure within dropbox surely...?

Just select each folder you wish to copy, and select Copy from the menu on the right.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Andy H.2 - how are you today?

I'm not really sure I understand what exactly you're trying to accomplish, could you elaborate on this for me please?

One thought that comes in mind in this scenario, would be to replicate the folder structure without any files to save space. Once they populate your selective sync settings (found within the desktop app's preferences under the Sync tab), go ahead and un-check the boxes next to the newly created folders to prevent them from syncing on this device and then access them and fill them with the files and/or subfolders you'd like to copy in the first place through our website. 

The other way to do this would be to do it in small batches and using selective sync on them during the process of copying your content. 

As these options don't seem so delicate, I'd suggest taking a look at our Smart Sync feature which is a new addition to our Plus plan (I'm guessing that you're on the Plus plan due to the size of the mentioned folder structure). 

If you're not seeing it yet on your account, hang on tight. The additional features (Smart Sync, Dropbox Rewind and an additional TB of space) are gradually rolling out and you should have access to them in a couple of days.

I hope this helps you get going with the task at hand while I'm always a post away should you have any more questions Andy!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Andy H.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Walter - 

Thanks for the attempt - let me try again. 

I have a 2TB account, so space in storing files in the cloud is not a constraint. Storage on my local machine is a constraint. 

I have a massive folder structure with thousands of files and subfolders. It exists on local drive and exists in the cloud. If i delete it on the local drive, it will delete it all in the cloud. 

I understand i can use selective sync to 'break' the connection between local files and the cloud, so if i delete locally, it will not delete the file from the cloud. 

I am simply attempting to take a large folder structure of thousands of files that already exists in my dropbox account, and replicate it. Copy it. So that i have *2* copies of the folder structure in the cloud, only one copy of which is 'synching' with the local files. 

I can put the second copy under some new top level folder called 'copy' or whatever. That's no problem. 

Dropbox *must* have the ability to copy a folder structure within dropbox surely...?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Andy H.2 wrote:

Create a new top-level folder within Dropbox. Use Selective Sync to remove that folder from your local drive (uncheck it within Selective Sync). Once the folder has been removed from your local drive, go to the Dropox website and use the Copy function to copy the folders you wish to duplicate into the new top-level folder. Anything placed in that folder will not sync to your computer. Note that you'll need to update the Selective Sync settings on all computers, if you have more than one.

Just select each folder you wish to copy, and select Copy from the menu on the right.

Andy H.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Rich Solved my problem - thanks very much!

Andy

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Andy H.2 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?